The Agon Wastes, also known as Agon Sector, were previously the Agon Plains. Back in the Golden Age of the Luminoth on Aether, these lands were vast, lush plains stretching out as far as the eye could see. The region was scorched when the Leviathan crashed into the planet, leaving nothing but a barren, arid desert. The Agon Wastes also house the Agon Temple, the guardian of which was I-Sha before his death. Its Dark Aether counterpart was the Dark Agon Wastes.
The Agon Wastes are home to many unique creatures, such as Lumites, Sandiggers, and Sandbats. The Space Pirates have a mining facility in its cave systems, and almost all of Agon is under their command. Few signs of Luminoth civilization can be seen, as the Pirates have mined the sector to search for its resources.
Areas and main rooms
This sector can be divided into two areas:
This area has little current Space Pirate activities and has some Luminoth ruins and technology in various places. Most of the rooms are open.
An old Luminoth mining facility that has become the main base of operations for the Space Pirates (who crashed here). Most of the area is subterranean.
Similarities to Chozo Ruins
The Agon Wastes are somewhat similar to the Chozo Ruins from Metroid Prime. Like the Ruins, the region is desert-like, and has ruins left behind by the ancient species that lived on the planet. They each have ambush predators such as Sandiggers, from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes or Beetles, from Metroid Prime. Counting the Great Temple as a sub-area of the Temple Grounds, they also both act as the second areas explorable via the natural route of the game. Lastly, they seem to both have statues, like the statue of the Amorbis, or the many Chozo statues and relics, and in Metroid Prime's case, most Chozo Artifacts.
- List of rooms in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Bonus Disc/Agon Wastes
- List of rooms in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes/Agon Wastes
- Agon is a Greek word that meant a contest, competition, or challenge that was held in connection with religious festivals. In its broader sense of a struggle or contest, agon referred to a contest in athletics, chariot or horse racing, music or literature at a public festival in ancient Greece.
- Agon, of course, also has possible relation to the English word Agony, which is a common synonym for suffering.
- Before its Energy Controller is restored, Agon is plagued by lightning storms. Like the other regions, Agon becomes sunny when its energy is returned.
- The color code of Agon is Amber. In the Sky Temple Key clues, Agon is known as the "scorched land".
|Areas of Aether|
|Temple Grounds | Agon Wastes | Torvus Bog | Sanctuary Fortress | Great Temple|
|Areas of Dark Aether|
|Sky Temple Grounds | Dark Agon Wastes | Dark Torvus Bog | Ing Hive | Sky Temple|