"Any objections, Lady?" (異論はないな? レディー or 異論は無いな? レディー Iron wa nai na? Redī ) is a famous quotation by Commander Adam Malkovich. Although "normally cool and not one to joke around", he would end all of his mission briefings by asking Samus Aran this question, to which she would respond with a thumbs-down. In Metroid: Other M, Samus states that her use of the thumbs-down—the opposite of the usually-accepted thumbs-up—was a twofold response: that she completely understood the mission orders ("no objections"), but would not be derided by being called a lady. In Metroid Fusion, however, Samus states that it was his way of noting the trust between her and Adam.
Adam never directly asks Samus this question when speaking to her in Other M, even after she is accepted onto the 07th Platoon. Despite this, references are made to it:
- At the end of the briefing on board the BOTTLE SHIP, Samus states, "Understood, Adam. No objections, of course."
- After losing contact with Adam, Samus finds herself at a deactivated bridge while pursuing the Deleter. She spoofs the catchphrase by asking herself, "Any objections, Adam?", when she activates her Space Jump and Screw Attack to proceed, without his authorization.
- Just before he walks off to eject and destroy Sector Zero from the BOTTLE SHIP, Adam asks Samus, "No objections... right, Lady?", to which she responds with a tearful thumbs-down. This last line is heard again when she is lost in thought at Galactic Federation Headquarters at the end of the game.
In Fusion, before the computerized Adam orders Samus to set off the propulsion sequence on the Biologic Space Laboratories research station, he speaks the line, revealing to Samus that her computer contained Adam's mind and personality.
In Samus & Joey volume 3 chapter 12, Samus asks Dangelo if he has any objections while giving him a thumbs down. This was the earliest instance of a thumbs down being used in conjunction with the catchphrase.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Japanese version of Metroid Fusion and Metroid: Other M
- ^ Samus: The thumbs-up sign had been used by the Galactic Federation for ages. Me… I was known for giving the thumbs-down during briefing. […] My thumbs-down was a twofold response: a sign of derision at being called a lady, and a signal of my complete understanding of the mission orders.