- For other uses, see Artifact Temple (Disambiguation)
The Artifact Temple is a room crucial to the plot of Metroid Prime. Located in the Tallon Overworld, it was a prison created by the Chozo to contain the spread of Phazon on Tallon IV. It is sometimes referred to in Chozo Lore as the Cradle. The temple was later opened by Samus Aran to confront the Metroid Prime, the source of Phazon on the planet.
The room has its own theme music.
The prosperous Chozo colony on Tallon IV had prophesied their own destruction, foretelling that "the Worm" would threaten them, and that "the Hatchling" (Samus) would come and encounter this Worm.
This prophecy came to pass when Tallon IV was struck by a Leviathan. When it made contact, local flora and fauna were horribly mutated, and the environment itself became poisoned. The Chozo attempted to seal away the Leviathan, along with the Worm, constructing the Cradle over it. However, despite their efforts, the Phazon brought by the Leviathan had already poisoned their world. Even as they finished the Artifact Temple, they were soon driven mad from Phazon Fever. The Worm, however, was successfully detained in the Impact Crater below the temple, as the poison the Leviathan carried continued to spread across Tallon IV. Samus learned of the prophecy through Chozo Lore and set out to fulfill it.
In the NTSC versions of the game, Pirate Data states that the seal did not extend below the surface, and so the invading Space Pirates were able to find Metroid Prime and capture it for study. It was infused with so much Phazon before it escaped back to its den. In the PAL versions, this is retconned with the statement that the Pirates were never able to breach the seal, though were aware that some powerful creature existed within.
From the start, the top of the room curves out in paths leading left and right. The right corridor leads to indestructible debris, while the other corridor goes outside of the shelter to the main portion of the temple. The Chozo Lore entries "Prophecy of Light" and "Contain" can be scanned on the top floor. In the middle, a green visor-like window reveals the temple outside. The actual temple leading to the Impact Crater is a large, ornately carved stone circle with twelve Chozo Totems circling the middle and a unique, central totem holding the Artifact of Truth. Depending on Samus' choice, she will obtain it before or after collecting the rest of the artifacts. The Chozo Totems can be scanned for hints to the artifacts' locations and when an artifact is returned, the appropriate totem will light up and prepare to allow her access to the Crater, until Meta Ridley flies in, destroying many of the totems to prevent Samus from accessing the Crater. After she severely wounds him, Chozo Statues above the platform fire red lasers at him, driving him back off of the platform. The Chozo Lore found at the Artifact Temple, "Statuary", implied that this had been done due to Meta Ridley willfully destroying the Chozo Artifact holders while the temple was preparing to open the way to the impact crater. Non-violent Chozo Ghosts create a blue light that leads to the crater, allowing the Hatchling to fulfill the prophecy.
After destroying the Worm and its poisonous lair, the destruction carries up into the Artifact Temple, causing parts of it to be destroyed; after leaping from the main platform onto her summoned Gunship, Samus turns back, removes her helmet and mournfully watches as the Temple burns, before closing her eyes and leaving.
- Artifact of Truth
- The first Chozo Artifact is located in the middle of the room, underneath the central Totem.
- SkyTown's Main Docking Bay greatly resembles the Artifact Temple. Key similarities include both being the last rooms seen in the game, the green window, the U-shaped corridor, statues, circular design, open-topped layout, destructible obstructions, link to the Chozo Artifacts and having a boss battle take place there. In an unlockable Diorama in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Ghor is seen surrounded by the Chozo Ghosts in the Main Docking Bay, further strengthening the relation between the two areas.
- Strangely, although Samus can see when she is going through Temple Security Station that she is passing through a hallway suspended over a chasm, when she reaches the main temple platform, she cannot see the object behind the Chozo statues on the roof of the overlooking structure, even though it is so big that it should be immediately visible. No explanation is given for this.
- There is a glitch for this room after the Meta Ridley battle; if the player can defeat Ridley without all of the artifact totems being destroyed, they all disappear anyway when the Chozo Ghosts emerge from them to open the portal to the crater. Oddly, these totems can still be scanned until the next time the room is entered.
- The theme that plays when the Impact Crater is opened is titled Artifact Shrine (Release of the Chozo Ruins Seal) in the Metroid Prime & Fusion Original Soundtracks tracklist.
|Species|| Alimbic • Boost Guardian • Chozo (Ghost) • Craftsmen • Dark Pirate Commando • Darkling • Darkling Tentacle • Gorea • Ing (Hunter, Emperor, Warrior) |
Ingsphere Cache • Kralee • Leviathan • Luminoth • Metroid Prime (Core essence) • Phantoon • Warp Hound • Phazon Metroid
|Gateways||Alimbic Cannon • Artifact Temple • Interdimensional void • Portal • Stronghold Portal • Wormhole|
|Alternate Dimensions||Dark Aether • Infinity Void • The Locker • Oubliette • Stronghold Void|
|Other||Black fog • Dark Visor • Darkburst • Multidimensional Stealth Warship • Transdimensional energy • Transdimensional flux|