The Autoad is a jumping robot found on SR388, built by an ancient civilization (likely the Chozo, as they were previously the dominant species of SR388). They appear exclusively in Metroid II: Return of Samus, in the ruins. Their name and method of attack suggests they are mechanical versions of the Hornoad creature.
In Metroid: Samus Returns, these enemies have been redesigned. They are much smaller and more spider-like, and no longer hop, but scurry across surfaces after Samus and can climb walls. If Samus gets too close to one the Autoad will charge up and release a circular blast that drains Samus's Aeion Gauge and disables her Aeion abilities for a few seconds, similar to an EMP grenade or the Rezbit Virus. Samus can most effectively destroy them with her Beam Burst or Plasma Beam.
- Metroid II manual
- "Another type of robot, presumably left after the demise of the ancient civilization. They now hop around out of control."
- Inhabitants & Eco System of SR388 (p. 20)
- "These spider-like machines have the ability to emit an Aeion disruptor field. This raises the question: if these things were created to disrupt Aeion Abilities, were they made to combat intruders, or other Chozo?"
- Walkthrough (p. 115)
- "Just below the hole you created is a gold Autoad. These robotic arachnids are not only hard to destroy, they’re capable of temporarily locking down your Aeion Abilities. This wouldn’t be a huge issue, except that the Beam Burst is the only way to defeat these enemies. If Autoads start rushing toward you before you’re able to fire your Beam Burst at them, back off immediately. Your best bet in general is to avoid them altogether, but if you must fight them, shoot them through a wall if possible.
If you get hit with their Aeion Ability disruptor field, retreat and wait five to 10 seconds for your abilities to become active once more."
- Walkthrough (p. 170)
- BLACK AUTOAD
- "Those Autoads that have the ability to seize up your Aeion Abilities are back, with reinforced plating this time around. They haven’t changed much beyond that, so slap on your Beam Burst and let them have it as soon as you see them. If you’re not quick, the Autoad zaps your Aeion Abilities, and you have no way of destroying it until the effect wears off."
|Scanners||Scan Visor • Hand Scanner • Biohazard scanner • Award Scanner|
|Space Pirates||Aeromine • Crawlmine • Eye • Hover Bot • Jumpmine • Mining cannon • Mecha Ridley|
|Galactic Federation||Security Robot B.O.X. • FG II-Graham • FG-1000 • Fuse Hint Scanbot|
|Chozo||Autoad • Autom • Autrack • Databot • Diggernaut • Elysian • Floating object • Gunzoo • Helios • Proboscum • Robotsmall and Robotbig • Shirk • Steambot • Swarmbot (-G) • Tinbot • TPO • Vaporwing • Wallfire • ZipNMEBomber|
|Luminoth||Airthorn • Lightbringer • Lightflyer • Luminoth sentry pod • Mechlops • Mekenobite • Octopede • Rezbit • Sentreye (Corrupted)|
|Other|| Androids • Armored Bot • Artificial Intelligence • Cyborgs • Darkling • Drones • Golems • Guard Node • RB133 Auricrusher • Reflec • Security Bot • Shaktool • Statues • Suspensor platform • Turrets • Work Robot |
Drones, Workers, Hunters and Guards • U-ton • Lucky Darts • Desert Phantom • Samus Tank • Integra • Cyclon (Queen)