The Biologic Space Laboratories research station is a large research station orbiting the planet SR388 in its solar system. Its purpose is to research various life forms from an untold number of planets in each habitat. The vessel is operated by Biologic Space Laboratories. It is the setting for Metroid Fusion.
There are some signs that the B.S.L. has some relationship to or is possibly a recreation of the BOTTLE SHIP of Metroid: Other M, as many of the specimens onboard (noticeably Nightmare and a clone of Ridley) were transferred to make their reappearance in Metroid Fusion. Additionally, all 3 sectors of the Bottle Ship have a counterpart with the same environment on the B.S.L. Unlike the BOTTLE SHIP, which had the purpose of bioweapon production, the BSL seems to have been designed mainly, if not entirely, for research and peaceful application only (or so the Federation claims).
- Alpha Metroid
- Barrier Core-X
- B.O.X. Security Robot
- Blue X
- Fake Chozo Statue
- False Energy Tank
- Gamma Metroid
- Geron (Air System)
- Gold Sciser
- Gold Space Pirate
- Green X
- Infant Metroid
- Omega Metroid
- Red X
- Samus Eater
- Samus Eater Bud
- X Parasite
- Yellow X
- Zebesian (Aqua)
- Zeta Metroid
- Zombie researcher
The BSL research station appears to have been a hollowed-out asteroid with a docking ring around the widest portion of the asteroid.
Here is a simple overview of the different parts of the station:
- This area contained elevator access, storage, etc. It linked all the other parts of the station together and consisted of several sub-sections:
- Docking Bays
- This is where Samus first entered the space station. Her ship was located here.
- Quarantine Bay
- This is where the X infected components of Samus's suit were kept, and therefore the birthplace of the SA-X.
- Habitation Deck
- Central Reactor Core
- Reactor Silo
- This is where the main reactor that powers the entire station was kept, as well as the Auxiliary Power Station.
- Operations Deck
- This is where the controls for the station's main operations, such as orbital position and the self-destruct mechanism, were located.
- Main Elevator
- This was the main entrance to the 6 sectors.
- Sub-Zero Containment
- Docking Bays
Sector 1 (SRX)
- This sector reproduced the environment of planet SR388, home of both the X Parasites and the Metroids.
Sector 2 (TRO)
- This sector was used to research creatures living in humid, jungle-like habitats.
Sector 3 (PYR)
- This sector was used to research creatures living in extremely hot habitats, such as deserts and volcanoes.
Sector 4 (AQA)
- This sector was used to research marine creatures.
Sector 5 (ARC)
- This sector was used to research creatures living in extremely cold habitats.
Sector 6 (NOC)
- This sector was used to research nocturnal and cave-dwelling creatures.
- This facility is where the top-secret Metroid breeding project took place and is possibly a recreation of Sector Zero.
While the Main Deck held facilities related the station's operations and the living quarters for the scientists, Sector 1 represented the ideal Metroid breeding environment from SR388, and the other sectors represented different environmental climates: desert/volcanic, forest/tropical, aquatic/seabed, ice/arctic, nocturnal/cave. Accordingly, each sector housed different species. Sectors 2 to 6 were simply stereotypical habitat patterns used to research creatures from different planets, unlike Sector 1's strict replication of a single planet's ecosystem.
When Samus Aran was attacked by an X Parasite on SR388, she was transported to Galactic Federation HQ. There, large portions of her Power Suit were surgically removed and transported to the research station, leaving her stripped of all of her upgrades save the basic Power Beam, and creating the Fusion Suit. However, while in the Quarantine Bay, the infected components and upgrades of her Power Suit formed together to create the SA-X. The SA-X used a Power Bomb to escape the Quarantine Bay, releasing all the X the scientists had unwittingly brought onto the station in the process. As a result, every (non Metroid) organism aboard the station was infected, save for a small group of Etecoons and Dachoras that happened to coincidentally be the very same group she saved from the self destructing Planet Zebes.
Samus, having been provided with a new gunship and the Fusion Suit, was sent to investigate the explosion. She soon learned the fate of every living thing aboard the station and subsequently set out to exterminate the X, even if it required her to destroy the station and herself.
Metroid breeding programEdit
As Samus explored the station, she came across a Restricted Laboratory. Here, she learned that the Galactic Federation had been using the station for a secret Metroid breeding program. However, an SA-X, as the original had asexually reproduced into several copies, managed to lock down the lab and cause it to self-destruct, ultimately destroying the program.
Samus soon found out that the Galactic Federation planned on using the X for military purposes. However, she was strongly against this as she knew how dangerous they were. Her ship's computer tried to stop Samus by locking her in a Navigation Room. Samus demanded to be released, but the computer had its orders to keep her from destroying the station, so the Federation could arrive. When she mistakenly called the computer Adam, her private name for the computer, it awakened to the fact that it was the real Adam Malkovich, Samus's late commanding officer. Adam agreed that the X are too dangerous, and he devised a plan to ram the station into SR388 using the station's propulsion system, killing all the X on board the vessel and on the planet to rid the universe of their existence. Samus set the station to crash into SR388. As Samus left the station after confronting both an SA-X and an Omega Metroid, it crashed into SR388, destroying the research station, the planet, and the entire X species.
"The six-sector Biologic Space Labs research station was designed to hold specimens in self-sustaining ecosystems mimicking those of the organisms' native planets. Even extreme conditions, ranging from a planet's molten core to sub-arctic temperatures, can be replicated."
- The B.S.L. is the last of five space stations to be destroyed, the other four being the Frigate Orpheon, Oubliette, Ceres Space Colony, and BOTTLE SHIP.
- Interestingly, all labels of the B.S.L (such as on Biologic's vessel and the docking bay doors) exclude the dot after the L.
- The original design of the B.S.L. in the beta version of Metroid Fusion looks quite similar to the G.F.S. Olympus' design. By contrast, its final design resembles a more organic version of the BOTTLE SHIP, possibly hinting at a connection.
|Planets visited in the Metroid series|
|Other locations visited in the Metroid series|
|Space Stations in the Metroid series|
|† denotes a destroyed station.|
|Metroid | Sidehopper Station|
|Celestial Archives | Vesper Defense Outpost | Oubliette† | Head Shot | Outer Reach|
|Cosmos region A47|
|SR388's solar system|
|Biologic Space Laboratories research station†|
|Ceres Space Colony† | Junk Quixote | Medical Space Station | The Locker|
|Areas of the Biologic Space Laboratories research station|
(Navigation Room • Recharge Station • Save Station • Data Room • Security Room)
(Docking Bays • Quarantine Bay • Habitation Deck •
Central Reactor Core • Reactor Silo • Auxiliary Power Station •
Operations Deck • Operations Room • Main Elevator
Elevators 1-6 • Sub-Zero Containment)
(Main Boiler Control room)
(Breeding tank • Pump Control Unit)