Description[edit | edit source]
When Samus Aran encounters it, it will swim around the room, entering and exiting four holes in the wall. It will sometimes poke its head out of a hole and spit green spores in a buckshot-like spray; these spores can be destroyed for pickups. Apart from this, its only means of attack is colliding with Samus as it passes between holes.
To defeat Botwoon, Samus must fire Missiles, Super Missiles, or Charge Beam shots at its head; the rest of its body is invulnerable. As it incurs damage, its red color scheme will become more intense, and it will speed up, making it harder to hit and avoid. Once Botwoon has been defeated, it will stop slithering around, and chunks of its body will rapidly fall to the floor and explode. Botwoon's death opens up the right wall so that Samus can continue exploring Maridia.
Official data[edit | edit source]
- Botwoon (page 67)
- "This is the home of Botwoon, a kind of secondary guardian for Maridia. It emerges from the left side of the screen - when it does pump missiles at the head. The rest of its body is resistant to your attacks."
|Color||HP||ATK||E||BE||M||SM||PB||Maridia. Mini-boss. Shoot Missiles at its head when it appears.|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Botwoon's boss theme is shared with another Mini-Boss, Spore Spawn.
- Serris in Metroid Fusion is also a sea serpent and swims similarly to Botwoon. The Fune and Namihe, as depicted in Metroid: Other M, are also giant worms that stick their heads out of walls to fire at Samus. While not a boss, the Animworm in Metroid: Samus Returns also moves similarly to Botwoon.
- It is possible to fight Botwoon from the other side of its chamber by performing the Spacetime Beam in the large room two chambers prior to Draygon (the one filled with quicksand and Mochtroids) and then returning to Botwoon's room.
- If the Spacetime Beam is used to restart the game with the Plasma Beam, it will take only 4 fully charged shots to kill Botwoon.
- Botwoon is similar to Volvagia from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: both are red serpentine creatures that come out of holes to attack, and are vulnerable in the head. In addition, they both crumble and fall apart upon defeat.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
|Tallon IV||Aqua Reaper • Aqua Sac • Chomper Fish • Fish • Jelzap • Tangle Weed • Tallon Crab|
|Aether||Blogg • Bloggling • Alpha Blogg • Fish • Brizgee • Dark Blogg • Grenchler • Hydling • Krocuss • Phlogus|
|Dark Aether||Chykka • Dark Blogg • Dark Grenchler • Dark Phlogus • Dark Shredder • Flying Ing Cache • Venom Weed • Watchdrone|
|Zebes||Botwoon • Bull • Cacatac • Choot • Draygon • Evir • Gadora • Gamet • Oum • Owtch • Powamp • Puyo • Sciser • Skultera • Tatori • Tatori, Jr. • Yapping Maw • Yard • Zoa|
|BOTTLE SHIP||Fish • Skultera|
|BSL||Aqua Zebesian • Evir • Gadora • Owtch • Powamp • Sciser • Serris • Skultera • Yard|