In Metroid, the room is composed of purple bubble-like material, which is found in other areas of Norfair. The elevator platform contains a Koma on either side, and is found on one midair ledge, with bubble stalactites hanging underneath. Three ledges of bubbles are attached to the wall, with a small platform near the bottom, and two exits on either side. Samus will respawn in this room when the game is reloaded with a password or if she dies.
In Zero Mission, the room is slightly shorter and now comprised of rocky material. The Koma statues are now found on short pillars below the elevator platform, which now has small Chozo Statues on either side. A gap is present underneath the floor, but what is underneath is not made clear. A pair of midair pillars now exists below the lift platform, holding up the Koma statues. The pillars also have two ledges protruding to either side. Two Rippers are present in between the gap, which are difficult to avoid without the Ice Beam, which can freeze them into temporary platforms. Above each ledge are blockages composed of Screw Attack Blocks, with a Pit Block against the pillars.
This room is no longer accessible in Super Metroid, but a similar shaft appears in the new Norfair.
- "Transport to Norfair" (via Elevator)
- "Western lava-filled path" (via Blue Door)
- "Norfair main corridor" (Metroid, via Blue Door)
- Save Room 1 (Zero Mission, via Blue Door)
- 2 Rippers (Zero Mission)
- 031 JOURNEY TO THE DEPTHS OF NORFAIR (pg. 35)
- "When you emerge, you'll see that the Chozo Statue's Ice Beam clue points to the right. Before you can reach that destination, you'll have to go in search of the Power Grip, to the left."
- 048 TAKE THE CHOZO'S PATH (pg. 39)
- "The Ice Beam is in the path to the right of the Brinstar-to-Norfair elevator shaft. The Power Grip will give you the ability to follow the path."
- 061 ELEVATOR GOING UP (pg. 42)
- "The Ice Beam will come in very handy as you make your way out of Norfair. Use it to freeze flying creatures below the elevator, then hop onto the midair monsters and continue up to the lift."
- 198 EXIT IN A HURRY (pg. 72)
- "As you run to the left through the long, tall corridor, your booster will charge, allowing you to run in a straight line to the left end. Record your progress, then use the Screw Attack to cut up to the elevator."