Description[edit | edit source]
This shaft is found at the right end of Brinstar, and is connected to both Corridors No. 3 and 4. It is a tall shaft with multiple midair platforms and enemies, exiting into three-four rooms (the additional room is added in Zero Mission).
In Metroid, the room features the gold color scheme present in other shafts of eastern Brinstar. It is infested with numerous Rippers, Wavers and Zoomers. When in this room, the highest door (to Corridor No. 3) can only be reached from the top, or by carefully freezing Rippers and Wavers and using them as platforms, due to the lack of existing platforms along that part of the shaft. The primary reason to access this room is to obtain the Bombs through one of the doors in the shaft.
In Zero Mission, the room has fewer enemies and platforms, now has a reddish-blue tint, and does not contain any man-made architecture. Chozo ruins, including staircases and archways, are visible in the background as they are elsewhere in Brinstar, and a large boulder is present in the background at the base of the shaft. Two more boulders are found on ledges higher up in the room. A pair of Rippers are placed near the top of the shaft, allowing for easier ascension. In addition to the same rooms it led to in the original Metroid, this room connects to a Map Room that populates the map with the eastern half of Brinstar.
Connecting rooms[edit | edit source]
- Corridor No. 3 (via Blue Door)
- "Bomb access corridor" (Metroid, via Blue Door)
- Corridor No. 4 (via Blue Door)
- "Short shaft" (Zero Mission, via Blue Door)
- Map Room (Zero Mission, via Red Hatch)
Inhabitants[edit | edit source]
Metroid[edit | edit source]
Zero Mission[edit | edit source]
Official data[edit | edit source]
- 024 map room (page 33)
- "After you reach the shaft, drop to the bottom and use a missile to open the red hatch that leads to Brinstar's map room."
- 025 normal bomb (page 33)
- "From the map room, climb up the vertical passage as high as you can, then open a hatch and run through it to a short vertical passage that holds two more hatches."