The Caretaker Class Drone was the largest stationary mechanoid Samus encountered in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. It was used by the Luminoth to maintain and protect the experimental energy chamber that the Luminoth used in the Main Research facility of Sanctuary Fortress. Samus only encounters one Caretaker Drone, and she must destroy it before she is able to reach the path to the Screw Attack.
The Caretaker used mechanical limbs to clean and keep the chamber under maintenance. Like most technology the Luminoth made, its second duty was to fight Ing. Thus, the Caretaker will use its limbs to fight away any enemies.
The battle involves Samus using the Boost Jump back and forth between the Spider Ball Tracks, avoiding the harmful cleaning arms while attempting to hit its sensor orbs and expose its control core. This is harder than it seems: Although the sensor orbs stay extended relatively long, the control core is only vulnerable to damage for barely half a second. Also, the Spider ball tracks will divide, showing gaps between that Samus can not cross while rolling. In the lowest part of the tube, there is an uninterrupted ring, while in the second part there are two, and in the highest part three parts of Spider Ball track.
When Samus has hit the control core three times, the Caretaker Class Drone will explode and reveal a Spider Ball Track up and out of the tube.
Caretaker Class Drone
Mechanism: "Caretaker" Class Drone
Rogue maintenance drone.
Drone designed to protect a magnetic rail chamber. Chamber's rails are a Boost Jump apart; perhaps the Luminoth were experimenting with Boost technology.
The Caretaker drone was designed to protect and maintain an experimental energy chamber. It uses electrically charged limbs to perform its duties. The drone requires sensor updates to fight: a vulnerable detection unit will extend periodically to search for targets. Destroying this unit would weaken its combat ability.
In the demo of the game, a mechanism similar to the Caretaker Class Drone was called Ingkiller. All that remains of this mechanism is a Logbook entry.
Rogue Termination drone.
Powerful security unit armed with beam weapons. Target limbs to disable them and damage the unit.
The Ingkiller was designed to protect points of entry within the Luminoth Fortress from the Ing; it now seeks to eliminate all living things.
Its four attack limbs can be disabled, forcing it to use a secondary beam attack to defend itself.
The beam system requires sensor updates to function; a vulnerable detection unit will extend periodically to search for targets.
Destroy it to take the beam offline.
- The "Caretaker" Class Drone is one of four bosses in the Metroid Prime trilogy that requires the use of the Spider Ball to fight it. The other three are the Power Bomb Guardian, Quadraxis, and the Emperor Ing.
- Interestingly, all these bosses are fought in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.
- The "Caretaker" Class Drone is one of the five bosses in the Metroid Prime trilogy that can be scanned before the battle.
- The other four are the Omega Pirate, the Alpha Blogg, the Spider Guardian, and the Power Bomb Guardian. Much like the Spider Guardian, it is one of only two bosses that has to be scanned before battle, due to the circumstances of the fight.
- The "Caretaker" Class Drone is somewhat similar to the Spider Guardian in another respect; both battles are fought entirely in Morph Ball mode.
- The Caretaker Drone is the only Echoes boss which does not show a health bar of any kind.
- While a generic boss theme plays during the battle against the Caretaker Class Drone, Samus is not rewarded with a Credit usually given to her whenever she defeats a boss in the Metroid Prime Trilogy pack.
|Space Pirates||Aqua • Cloaked • Crawltank • Goliath-class heavy assault • "Jolly Roger" • Phazon Harvester • Pirate Cargo |
Pirate Surveillance • Sentry
|Galactic Federation||Galactic Federation Reconnaissance • Training • AI Combat|
|Chozo||Class D Transportation • "Dragoon" Battle • Defense • Elysian Shriekbat • Hive Mecha • Incinerator • Repair (Aerial)|
|Luminoth||Caretaker Class • Diligence Class (Dark Diligence) • Harmony-Class • Ingsmasher • Lightflyer • Maintenance unit • Quad • Quadraxis |
Serenity Class • Watchdrone