The Chute Leech species is found on SR388. It has a flat body and will lie dormant until Samus walks by. It attacks by jumping into the air and then slowly gliding down, swaying from side to side using its parachute-like body. They are capable of surviving on dry land or in purple liquid and water.
In Return of Samus, Chute Leeches are found lying on the ground or submerged in liquid. They are plainly visible as Samus Aran approaches them.
In Samus Returns, Chute Leeches now spawn from fissures in the ground, which may be also submerged in purple liquid, water, or lava. Much like the Rock Icicles and Gawrons, Chute Leeches will infinitely respawn from the fissure if one of them is killed.
To navigate early areas without having acquired later power-ups to her jumping (High Jump Boots, Space Jump) yet, Samus must occasionally use the Ice Beam to freeze a Chute Leech in place and then use its frozen body as a mid-air platform. Therefore, Chute Leech nests are frequently placed near hard-to-reach areas, with their infinite respawning allowing Samus to try again if she accidentally kills one of these creatures.
Metroid II manualEdit
- "Usually they will lay quietly on the ground or in the liquid. But, when Samus comes close, they will jump up to attack, falling down like a leaf from a tree."
- Inhabitants & Eco System of SR388 (p. 19)
- CHUTE LEECH
- "More cute than deadly, Chute Leeches stick to a surface, then pop up and drift back down with the help of their flat, flappy bodies. If you’re not paying attention, you’ll undoubtedly get hit by one. However, these enemies are more effective as platforms—when shot with a charged Ice Beam shot—than as adversaries."
- Walkthrough (p. 44)
- CHUTE LEECH
- "These ambush artists love waiting for unsuspecting bounty hunters to leap over their mounds before popping out and knocking them into the drink. They’re little more than a nuisance, but this nuisance can reroute your careful jumps across tricky terrain. Look below Samus whenever approaching a shallow pool. They seem to prefer those environments more than solid ground."
- Chute Leeches are nearly identical to the Choot on Zebes, with minor differences. Octrolls in Return of Samus behave in a similar fashion, also dwelling in the purple liquid.
- It is unknown if the Chute Leech species was infected by the X Parasites, as Samus never encountered any Chute Leeches in Metroid Fusion. She did encounter infected Choots, although these were found in Sector 5 instead of the SR388-emulating Sector 1. Interestingly, Chute Leech and Choot share the same Japanese name チュート, which may suggest that these creatures were originally intended to be the same species in Japan.