Cyborg Zebesians were the result of Galactic Federation scientists on the BOTTLE SHIP trying to create a special-forces unit based on the Space Pirates. These Zebesians were to form the core of this unit. The scientists presumably cloned Zebesians and experimented on them in order to create bioweapons.
The synthetic implants made by the Federation are quite crude compared to those created by the Pirates themselves (seen on various Pirate classes encountered throughout the Metroid Prime trilogy). Unlike regular Zebesians, these creatures are non sapient bioweapons lacking emotions or the ability to create any semblance of society, only being capable of being a threat when controlled by a higher power such as MB.
When searching the Exam Center, Samus discovers an inactive Cyborg Zebesian making a loud beeping noise and notices a Federation mark on its armor, leading to the revelation that the Federation was using the BOTTLE SHIP to create bioweapons. Later, when searching deeper into the building, Samus is ambushed by several live Cyborg Zebesians. After this battle, they begin to appear regularly as enemies on the BOTTLE SHIP.
There are four aesthetic variants total, with two whose left claws have been replaced with Missile cannons. If Samus gets close to a Cyborg Zebesian, it may grab her - If she does not Counter Attack, the creature will lift her and then punch her back to inflict damage. If Samus does counter, she will perform a spinning jump kick to the head to knock it over, stunning it. When Samus attempts an Overblast on the creature, it will be forced into a hunched posture; if Samus does not fire, it will grab and throw her off. Once stunned by a Counter Attack or sufficient damage, a Cyborg Zebesian becomes susceptible to a Lethal Strike where Samus will swing around its neck, forcing it to kneel, then unleash a point-blank blast into its head.
Later in the game, Samus encounters Super Zebesians, a more powerful version of a regular Cyborg Zebesian. These Super Zebesians are enhanced with red armor, are more agile, and possess the ability to charge their cannons to fire permeating beam shots. Super Zebesians replace most Cyborg Zebesians.
- Mid-Level Enemies (pg. 13)
- Zebesians, Cyborg Zebesians, and Super Zebesians
- "Even though the planet Zebes has been destroyed, the scientists onboard the BOTTLE SHIP managed to resurrect the Zebesian species. Now that they’ve been brought back from extinction, the Zebesians are out of control. They’ve been fragmented into three classes: the weakest regular Zebesians, the cybernetically enhanced Cyborg Zebesians, and the superior Super Zebesians. All are susceptible to Charge Beam blasts, but to shred all three types of Zebesians use missiles, Lethal Strikes, and Overblast attacks."
- CYBORG ZEBES (pg. 164)
- "Cyborg Zebesians are Zebesians which have been reconstructed by the Galactic Federation. They appear frequently in groups and primarily use their beam to attack."
- A possible explanation for the cause of "death" of the first Cyborg Zebesian Samus encounters is that its batteries ran out of energy. Concept art states that batteries are mounted on the back.
- Cyborg Zebesians bear a slight resemblance to Mecha Ridley.
|Space Pirates||Bombu • Class I Energy Harvester • Elite Pirate • Megaroid • Metroids • Mimic • Omega Pirate • Phazon Elite • Preed • Puffer Mine|
|Galactic Federation||Cyborg Zebesian • Nightmare • Queen Metroid • Super Zebesian • Unfreezable Metroid • X Parasite (desired) • SA-X (desired)|
|Other||Kanden • Quadtroid|
|Related||Bioweapon Research Center • Project Metroid Warriors •Special-forces unit|
|Hybrids||Asborean • Chozo Statue • Darkling • Dark Samus • Dark Suit • Light Suit • PED Suit • Samus Aran • Omega Suit|
|Biomechanical||Aurora Unit • Security Robot B.O.X. • Cortex Chamber • Dark Diligence Drone • Dark Ingsmasher • Dark Quad • Fusion Suit • Mother Brain • Nightmare • Quadraxis • SA-X • Space Pirate Boarding Pod|
|Cyborgs||Crash Pillar • Ghor (-G) • Kyratian • Leviathan Battleship • Pirate Militia • Preed (Dark) • Puffer Mine • Ridley (Meta/Omega/Proteus) • Samus Aran • Slench • Space Pirate • Weavel • Zebesian (Cyborg/Super) |
Large Leviathan-class armed ship • U-ton