|This article is written from the Real Life point of view|
|“||We lied once about the last Metroid being in captivity and the galaxy being at peace, so who knows what will happen with the Metroids in the future?! ;-)||„|
Daniel J. "Dan" Owsen (born August 27, 1966 in Detroit, Michigan) is an American localization manager at Nintendo of America, best known for his prolific work in the translation and localization of many of Nintendo video games, including translation of The Legend of Zelda series. He is also remembered for his "Ask Dan" column that used to appear on Nintendo's official website.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Dan Owsen started at NOA in 1989. He started in Consumer Service during the days of the Nintendo Entertainment System, and has since moved from department to department, first going to Publications, then to Product Development, then back to Publications to work in the on-line area. Some of the more notable things he has had a chance to do at Nintendo include working with Shigeru Miyamoto's R&D1 team, writing screen text for Super Nintendo Entertainment System and Game Boy Zelda and recording his voice. Owsen is one of the first English voices used in any Nintendo console game.
In September 2007, Owsen left Nintendo to work at Microsoft as an online program manager of their Zune product. He returned to Nintendo in 2009 as a localization manager and producer. He is currently involved with the localization of Nintendo's mobile titles.
Select credits[edit | edit source]
- Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (1998)
- Terranigma (1995)
- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (1995)
- Donkey Kong Land (1995)
- Galactic Pinball (1995)
- Killer Instinct (1995)
- Kirby's Avalanche (1995)
- Teleroboxer (1995)
- Donkey Kong Country (1994)
- EarthBound (1994)
- Illusion of Gaia (1994)
- Super Metroid (1994)
- Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (1994)
- Kirby's Adventure (1993)
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (1993)
- Star Fox (1993)
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991)
- Metroid II: Return of Samus (1991)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The banner picture on his LinkedIn profile shows part of the Super Metroid Title Screen.
- When asked who he thought should portray Samus in a live-action Metroid film (long before one was announced and ultimately abandoned), Owsen suggested Linda Hamilton or Catherine Zeta-Jones. He also said that Samus would easily defeat Lara Croft in a fight.
- In Metroid: Other M, the Head Quarantine Officer at the beginning of the game bears a striking resemblance to Owsen.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Rappel, TJ (1998). The MDb Interviews Dan Owsen. Metroid Database.
- ^ Cuthbert, Dylan (dylancuthbert). "THIRTY YEARS! Since I began working with Sakamoto, Izushi and Dan Owsen(NOA) on X for the GameBoy, last night we had an impromptu get together because Dan happened to be in town! Dan also worked on StarFox on the NOA side." 27 January 2020 6:09 p.m. Tweet. https://twitter.com/dylancuthbert/status/1221933297200009216