The Diffusion Beam (ディフュージョンビーム Difyūjon Bīmu ) is the only new beam weapon featured in Metroid: Other M. When a Charge Beam hits a wall or an enemy, it will diffuse into several smaller bursts of energy in a much wider radius, hence the name. This is similar to the Diffusion Missile from Metroid Fusion. When Samus defeats the first encountered FG II-Graham turrets, this upgrade will appear in the form of a tiny, glowing orb, and scanning it gives the name "Details Unknown". Both traits are shared with the Seeker Missile.
The Diffusion Beam returns in Metroid Dread, found in Cataris after defeating Kraid. It functions the same as in Other M, with the explosion now being able to penetrate through walls and hit objects out of normal reach.
Nintendo of Europe press release
"Then there's the new weapon, the Diffusion Beam, which will scatter Charge Beams after impact and hit additional enemies."
Official Metroid: Other M Web site
"This upgrade adds some serious fireworks to a well-placed Charge Beam. The energy from the shot will scatter around the point of impact, devastating nearby enemies."
"If you fire a Charge Beam, the beam will scatter around the point of impact."
Metroid: Other M Samus Screen
"Effect: Charge Beams will scatter after impact.
Controls: Fire a Charge Beam."
Metroid Dread Samus Screen
- Diffusion Beam
- “Causes Charge Beam shots to explode on impact.
Press and hold [Y] to charge, and then release to fire. The explosion penetrates through terrain.”
- In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, R.O.B.'s Final Smash is called the Diffusion Beam. However, instead of firing a powerful beam that explodes, R.O.B. fires a short ranged constant stream of red colored lasers for a short time.
- The Diffusion Beam is the first beam weapon to only have an effect on charged shots.
- This is the first beam to be acquired in Metroid: Other M.
- Interestingly enough, Adam does not comment on the Diffusion Beam at all, nor does he give Samus Authorization to use it.
|Armaments||Arm Cannon • Paralyzer|
|Weapons||Power Beam • Wave Beam • Ice Beam • Plasma Beam • Grapple Beam |
Hyper Beam: (MD/MP3/SM) • Phazon Beam • Dark Beam • Light Beam
Annihilator Beam • Nova Beam • Zero Laser
|Enhancements||Beam Burst • Charge Beam • Diffusion Beam • Long Beam • Phazon bullets • Spazer Beam • Tractor beam • Wide Beam • Omega Cannon (Dread)|
|Affinity Weapons||Volt Driver • Battlehammer • Magmaul • Shock Coil • Judicator • Imperialist • Omega Cannon (Hunters) • Electro Lob|