A large number of dead marines from GFMC Task Force Herakles can be found here, killed by the Dark Splinters. In addition to the Tyr, there are also a large number of Federation supply crates here. A Kinetic Orb Cannon was set up here, possibly for combat. In the ship is a door blocking access to a Map Station.
Samus acquires a Missile Launcher in this room to replace the one stolen by the Ing. In addition, there is a Missile Expansion on top of the Tyr, which requires the Space Jump Boots. The only common enemies in this room are War Wasps, and Pirate Troopers (though rarely).
- Fortress Transport Access (via Blue Door, but blocked by Translator Door)
- Windchamber Tunnel (via Yellow Hatch)
- Sacred Bridge (via Red Blast Shield)
- Trooper Security Station (via Blue Door)
- Missile Launcher
- Inside a Federation Crate. Can be destroyed with a Charge Shot.
- Missile Expansion
- Samus needs Space Jump Boots to acquire. This expansion is on top of the GFS Tyr.
- 4 Dark Splinters
- "Morphology: Dark Splinter
Darkling-possessed insectoid predator.
The alien symbiote within the Splinter augments its strength and durability. Threat level raised."
- 3 Pirate Troopers
- "Morphology: Pirate Trooper
Aggressive, well-armed bioform trained for combat and conquest. Sworn enemy of Samus Aran."
- War Wasps in 3 War Wasp Hives
- "Morphology: War Wasp
Cunning aerial hunter.
Airborne insect equipped with a venemous stinger capable of shearing steel. Target can fire blasts of energy at foes."
- Galactic Federation Crate
- "Object scan complete.
This is a Galactic Federation Crate.
These storage units are known for their complex lock systems: destroy them to discover their contents."
- Heavy Galactic Federation Crate
- "Object scan complete.
This is a Heavy Galactic Federation Crate.
These storage units are durable. Only heavy weapons and explosives can damage them."
- Galactic Federation data terminal
- "Object analysis complete.
Galactic Federation data terminal is inactive.
Memory core damaged. Unable to restore access. Seek individual Log entries in trooper armorsuit systems."
- G.F.S. Tyr
- "Starship: G.F.S. Tyr
Anhur-class patrol ship.
Used to transport Galactic Federation Marines. Vessel has sustained heavy combat damage."
- Galactic Federation Ordnance Crate
- "Object analysis complete.
This is a Galactic Federation Ordnance Crate.
Tactical data suggests the presence of a personal weapon system within this crate. Use of heavy force required to eliminate the crate."
- Missile Launcher
- "Missile Launcher"
- G.F.S Tyr seats
- "CAPT A. Exeter COMMANDING OFFICER"
"CDR K. Starling PILOT"
"1LT W. Smythe SQUAD LEADER"
"LCDR T. Huxley MEDICAL OFFICER"
"PFC L. Brouda TROOPER
PFC M. Veroni TROOPER
PFC I. Crany TROOPER"
"PFC S. Milligan TROOPER
PFC E. Denys TROOPER
PFC U. McKalla TROOPER"
"PFC O. Grippe TECH
PFC X. Dominguez MEDIC
PFC G. Haley TROOPER"
"SPC M. Angseth COMMS
LCPL J. Brode TROOPER
PFC P. Wills TECH"
"SGT E. Monz 1ST TROOPER
SPC B. Reevs SCIENCE
SPC F. Triplette GUNNER"
"GSGT C. Benet 1ST TROOPER
SPC D. Senge ENGINEER
LCPL R. Vonda TROOPER"
- Tyr doors
- "Doors to open position.
Access to Map Station granted."
- Map Station
- "Map Station
Step into hologram to update map data."
- Translator Door (locked)
- "Unable to interface with door control system.
Cannot translate alien text.
To access door controls, you will need to update your translator files."
- Translator Door (unlocked)
- "Beyond this door, the path to Sanctuary Cliffs lies.
- Once a place of peaceful residence, now a fortress for those who make war. May it find tranquility once more."
- Wall ornament
- "Analysis complete.
Object appears to be a damaged piece of powered art.
Holoprojectors are offline. Combat damage appears final: repairs are unlikely."
- Kinetic Orb Cannon
- "Xenotech: Kinetic Orb Cannon
Fires small, spherical objects at high speeds.
Scan interface panel to bring the Cannon online, then enter the hologram to fire."
- Interface Module
- "Power restored to Kinetic Orb Cannon.
Unit locked in current firing position. Autofire feature enabled."
- * Kinetic Orb Cannon hologram
- "Enter hologram in Morph Ball mode to fire Cannon."
- Galactic Federation Trooper
- "Bioscan complete.
Galactic Federation Trooper.
Trooper's armor computer heavily damaged. Unable to recover Log entries."
- Captain A.C. Exeter
- "I'm beginning to think it was a real bad idea going down there. Reevs is right, that hive is just one of many. It's stupid to stir a hornet's nest, especially if you plan on sleeping under it."
- LCPL J. Brode
- "Man, I hope that this is the only breeding ground for these things. If there's more, we're in big trouble. We had a hard enough time taking that one out of commission: I almost ran out of ammo. I never run out of ammo!"
- PFC G. Haley
- "I hear.
Everywhere. They're coming.
Can't sleep. Ever.
They'll eat me.
- SPC F. Triplette
- "The Sarge says those "Splinters" remind him of some killer bug he saw on another planet once. All I know is the things are fast and take a lot to drop. Pretty soon, we'll have to go to bayonets. Everyone's low on ammo...even Brode, and he's the stingiest grunt I know."
- PFC S. Milligan
- "Brouda lost the bet, so he switched watch duty with me. I figure this section is nice and safe and boring, which suits me just fine. Let those other pugs guard the hot zone, I... hold on... hey! Halt! ...No! Hel--(transmission ends)"
- PFC I. Crany
- "Last night at chow, Angseth starts talking about some bounty hunter and how she blew up a planet full of Space Pirates. I told her I didn't believe in fairy tales like that, and she took it personal. I just find it hard to believe that one person took out an entire Space Pirate base, that's all. But if she wants to believe in this Samus, or Bigfoot, or Santa Claus, she can."
* Note: text is centered-aligned in scan, unlike the others which are left-aligned.
- In Metroid Prime: Episode of Aether, a different GFMC Compound is shown, and is referred to as the "Command Center".
- Even before Samus accesses the data terminal, its scan will still say the memory core is damaged.
- On the data terminal video, when the dark splinters begin their attack. you can see PFC S. Milligan already dead on front of the G.F.S. Tyr.
- The G.F.S Tyr appears too small and would not have enough room to accommodate all the equipment and gear found on the Base of operations and industrial site.
- According to both the Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Preview and the opening, the coordinates for the GFMC Compound are 78.67.363.
- The Metroid Prime 2: Dark Echoes Q&A states that the Pirates in this room are there to search for equipment from the fallen Federation soldiers.
- QUESTION: Occasionally when you return to the Galactic Federation ship’s landing point there are Space Pirates. What are they doing?
- ANSWER: They are looking around for equipment from the fallen Galactic Federation soldiers.
- The 101% glitch can be performed here. Because of this, several oddities occur due to some of the room's features being not yet loaded until after the cutscene plays:
- The Missile Expansion is not present.
- The Kinetic Orb Cannon and its accompanying scan terminal is not present.
- The scan door covering the Map Station aboard the ship is not present.
- The Translator Gate leading into Sanctuary Fortress is not present, meaning Samus can enter the Sanctuary Fortress early. She will be unable to enter the Sanctuary Entrance and beyond however until she has the Boost Ball in her inventory.