|This article is written from the Real Life point of view|
The Game Boy Player (ゲームボーイプレーヤー Gēmu Bōi Purēyā ) (DOL-017) is a device made by Nintendo for the Nintendo GameCube which enables Game Boy, Game Boy Color or Game Boy Advance cartridges to be played on a television. It uses physical hardware nearly identical to that of a Game Boy Advance, and connects via the high speed parallel port at the bottom of the GameCube that acts as a base with a frontal slot for inserting game cartridges.
The Game Boy Player requires use of the Game Boy Player Start-Up Disc to access the hardware. Several GBA games gain a rumble feature when played this way. The device also supports the ability to use a Nintendo GameCube Game Boy Advance Cable to use a GBA or GBA SP for a controller, as well as a link slot on the hardware for games that use it.
The hardware is about an inch thick and otherwise the same dimensions as the GCN and is available in Indigo, Black, Spice, or Platinum colors in Japan; Black in North America and Europe, and Black and Indigo in Australia.
The menu has six options to choose from:
- Frame: changes the colored border around the game "screen" to one of twenty different patterns. Super Game Boy borders are not supported.
- Size: changes the size that the GBA screen takes up on the TV (Normal is about 80% and appears sharper on some sets, while Full enlarges the image to the left and right edges of the TV)
- Controller: switches between the two controller mappings
- Screen: controls a motion blur effect to reduce potential flicker from programming tricks designed for a GBA screen. Can be set to "sharp" (no blurring), "normal" (some blurring), or "soft" (more blurring).
- Timer: set an alarm for one to sixty minutes
- Change Cartridge: stops the game so cartridges can be swapped safely, without having to turn the GameCube off (it is best to save game data before doing so)
Metroid games playable through Game Boy Player add-onEdit
- Metroid (Classic NES Series) (Also unlockable in Metroid: Zero Mission)
- Metroid II: Return of Samus
- Metroid Fusion
- Metroid: Zero Mission
Metroid cameos playable through Game Boy Player add-onEdit
- F-1 Race
- Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
- Wario Land II
- WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$!
- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
- WarioWare: Twisted!
- Like the Super Game Boy, the Game Boy Player has a Metroid-themed packaging, depicting a scene from Metroid Fusion, where Samus Aran approaches a Fake Chozo Statue.
- This image also appears on the back of the sleeve containing the plastic box for the disc and all ads for the GBP.
|Game Control||NES Controller • Wii Remote (Nunchuk/Wired Fight Pad) • PlayChoice-10 • Circle Pad Pro|
|Adapter||Super Game Boy • Game Boy Player|
|Enhancement|| Game Boy Advance Game Link cable • Nintendo GameCube Game Boy Advance Cable |
Nintendo DS Rumble Pak • amiibo