|“||The creature's corpse showed signs of what looked like Metroid predation, making my mind race. Metroids... here? Impossible. Metroids can't tolerate cold temperatures - they couldn't survive in this environment. Besides, they're extinct. The baby was the last of its kind...||„|
Description[edit | edit source]
The first Gigafraug is found in a large cavern, and chases Samus down a frozen lake. The creature's eyes glow bright green when it is in the process of attacking. It will attack without provocation, trying to crush Samus with its enormous head. The lumbering beast can also jump in the air and then land directly on top of Samus, even if it is facing away before jumping.
Unless the Plasma Beam is used, it is immune to Overblasts and Lethal Strikes until its head is broken (although it will still flash red briefly, indicating damage), which is most easily accomplished by firing a Missile at its forehead. If Samus attempts Overblast before breaking the Gigafraug's shielded head, the creature will ram its head at her, preventing her from jumping on its head. It can also be killed with attacks to its unshielded rear, like a Moto. After self-authorizing the Screw Attack, Samus can easily kill these creatures by simply Screw Attacking toward them, killing the Gigafraug instantly.
Later, one is found in a frigid room frozen and dead. Samus observes the deceased form and remarks that it looks like it was drained of its energy by a Metroid. She dismisses this as impossible as they cannot survive in cold temperatures, and also because they became extinct with the baby's death. The subject being drained by Metroid is proven true later in the game with the existence of unfreezable Metroids.
Official data[edit | edit source]
"Gigafraugs are ferocious, fighting bull-like creatures. They can charge at Samus as well as jump press, but they are easy to counter by using Sense Move."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Metroid-predated Gigafraug body is not present during the post-credits sequence. The corpse was most likely disposed of, as no Gigafraugs were encountered on the Biologic Space Laboratories research station, if any ever were on board.
- The Gigafraug appears to have physical traits seen in several animal species of Earth, such as antlers like that of a moose and a fluke on its tail like a dolphin (the latter characteristic may suggest the creature is an aquatic bioform) while its head shape resembles that of a whale, save for the antlers.
- The Gigafraug's body structure heavily resembles that of the Moto, the Grenchler, the Grapple Guardian, the Sheegoths and Baby Sheegoth. It is unknown if the creature's designs were inspired by one another in any way.
- Its name appears to be a combination of the metric prefix "giga-" (referring to its large size) and a misspelling of "frog" (referencing its amphibious qualities).
- This is one of the only creatures in Other M that Samus can use to help her. If she dodges its charging attack at just the right time while standing in front of some breakable icicles, the Gigafraug will break them for her. This is most notable in the "ice bridge cavern".