In both games, this room is attached to the blue-bubble shaft and can only be entered from that room. It contains Missile Tanks, three in Metroid but only one in Zero Mission. Visiting the room is optional.
In Metroid, the room is nearly identical to other corridors of Norfair (such as the one directly above it), presumably to conserve memory on the cartridge. The floor is engulfed in lava, and in the center of the room are three midair metal platforms with pedestals, atop each of which is a Missile Tank.
A pair of cloud-like platforms and smaller metal platforms can be used to cross the room. While the ceiling and walls near the entrance are made of brick tiles, the leftmost wall is made of purple bubble-like material seen elsewhere in Norfair.
In Zero Mission, the room has somewhat changed. It now entirely consists of Chozo architecture, and there are more cloud-like platforms. The lava is more shallow as well. Unlike the original Metroid, the room is superheated, so it is safer for Samus to visit it when she has obtained the Varia Suit. There is now only one Missile Tank on one pedestal structure at the far left side of the room.
- 3 Sovas (2 purple, 1 orange)
- 1 Geruta
- Missile Tanks
- Three in Metroid and one in Zero Mission. All are found in plain sight.
- 059 IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT... (pg. 41)
- "If you enter the area in the center of Norfair's upper-right section, you'll notice that the air is so warm, the heat will whittle away your energy reserves. Wait until you have the Varia Suit before you go deep into the area."
- 131 HOT ROCKET (pg. 58)
- "A detour through a warm room in Norfair's upper-right area will net you a Missile Tank. You can collect the item on your way to the Wave Beam, or later, when it's in your direct path."
- 197 missile tank (pg. 72)
- "If you haven't collected the Missile Tank in Norfair's upper-right section yet, venture up to the hot-air corridor and pick up the item. You'll need all of the missiles that you can muster in your battle against the Mother Brain."