A single Hyper Beam Door is located in Hanubia, blocking off a section of the area leading to the landing site of Samus Aran's Gunship. It is a massive black door with glowing red vertical lines along its sides, and a circular protrusion with a red light in its center, similar to the Central Unit Doors that must be destroyed by the Omega Blaster.
For the majority of Samus's mission to ZDR, the Hyper Beam Door cannot be affected by any of her weapons and is labeled as "???" on the map screen. After acquiring the Metroid Suit and Hyper Beam and defeating Raven Beak X, Samus can finally bypass this final obstacle. She must continuously shoot the Hyper Beam at the door to cause it to overheat and melt away; otherwise, the door will cool off instead of melting. Once the Hyper Beam Door is destroyed, Samus must hurry to reach her Gunship before the countdown ends.
If the player has the Hyper Beam Door icon marker placed on the map, destroying the Hyper Beam Door will cause Metroid Dread to forcibly close and display the Nintendo Switch error message "The software was closed because an error occurred." This glitch was patched in an October 20, 2021 software update.
The initial Customer Support page explicitly referred to the Hyper Beam Door by name and mentioned that it would be encountered after defeating the final boss. Nintendo later updated the page to remove both of these references, instead vaguely describing a "specific sequence [...] near the end of the game" involving a unspecified door. This alteration was presumably made to avoid spoilers.
Ver. 1.0.1 (Released October 20, 2021)
- Fixed an issue where, if a map marker is placed on a specific door on the map screen (the door destroyed with the beam obtained at the end of the game), destroying that door at the end of the game would cause the game to forcefully quit with the message "The software was closed because an error occurred”.
- Fixed several other issues to improve overall gameplay experience.
- The Hyper Beam Door is conceptually similar to the shutters during the final countdown in Super Metroid, which likewise are doors that can only be destroyed by that game's Hyper Beam.
- ^ Map
- ^ a b "The Software Was Closed Because an Error Occurred" Error Message Appears Near End of Metroid Dread
- ^ Nintendo of America (NintendoAmerica). "A bug has been found in #MetroidDread that can prevent players from progressing under a certain condition. A patch will be released by the end of October to fix this. We apologize for the inconvenience. ¶ Learn more, including how to avoid the bug: http://ninten.do/6012XaLfi" 14 October 2021 9:03 p.m. Tweet. https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1448816874423308288
- ^ Metroid Dread - "An Error Has Occurred" Message Appears and the Software Closes Near End of Game (archived by Metroid Database)