The hyper claw slash is an attack utilized by Proteus Ridley during the final phase of his battle in Metroid: Samus Returns. It consists of one powerful slash that Ridley winds up with an indicative blue glow on his hand and, once unleashed, causes three jagged slash marks to appear very briefly in the air directly in front of him. The momentum of this action causes him to move a few feet forward, therefore extending the reach of his swipe. He can only perform the hyper claw slash if he is on the ground.
This is one of the most damaging attacks used by Proteus Ridley; on Fusion Mode, it is capable of taking off three of Samus's Energy Tanks. However, the windup and glow prior to the actual slash gives Samus some leeway to avoid all harm.
"The hyper claw slash only makes an appearance when Proteus Ridley is on the ground. He pulls his arm behind his back and under his tail, which then begins to glow. After a few seconds, he lunges forward with a devastating slash. The move is easy to avoid, but terribly damaging if it hits you. When Proteus Ridley's claw starts to glow, Space Jump into the air until the attack concludes."
- The hyper claw slash is vaguely reminiscent of other claw attacks used by Ridley in past appearances.
- In the first Metroid Prime game, Meta Ridley occasionally performs a quick slash that causes a bright orange, serrated afterimage to trail behind his hand.
- Meta Ridley in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption possesses an attack during which his right hand glows red as he winds up before striking Samus with either the front or back of his hand. Contrary to the hyper claw slash, Samus can stop the attack by persistantly shooting at the glowing hand.
- Also in Metroid Prime 3, Omega Ridley can use claw swipes powered by Phazon that causes a blue, glowing effect on his hands. The glow however indicates the Phazon blades which briefly form around his hands, and no windup is present at all.
- In Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Ridley's clone uses the basic claw swipes seen in Other M, but with an added visual touch consisting of three blue slash marks momentarily appearing with every swing of his arms.