In Metroid, it is one of two rooms where the Ice Beam can be obtained, with the other being in Brinstar. Because beams do not stack in the original game, Samus cannot carry the Wave Beam and Ice Beam at the same time. Therefore, if she collects the Wave Beam she will need to re-obtain the Ice Beam from either room before entering Tourian.
Regarding appearance, the room resembles other item rooms throughout Zebes, with the difference being that there is lava underneath the floor. If Samus lays a Bomb in the floor at the base of the wall under the statue, she will open a secret tunnel into a hidden back room. This room is constructed out of bricks and inhabited by a small group of enemies. There is an open gap in the floor that Samus can fall into if she is not careful, filled with the mentioned lava. From here, Samus can continue on through Norfair back out to the purple-bubble shaft.
In Zero Mission, the room is now encased in a small chamber that appears to be constructed out of Chozo material, with dark blue panels in the background. The lava is now shallow and cannot be entered. When Samus enters, the door locks as a Green Hatch, preventing her from backtracking. The Ice Beam can now only be obtained here, with the other room in Brinstar containing a standing Chozo Statue that directs Samus to this room. After Samus collects the Ice Beam, she can morph in the Statue's hands to replenish her energy and Missile Ammo.
The back room is now accessed at the base of the wall, under the platform the statue sits on. It has changed into a purple cave, with two pillars on either side, one of which is in midair, and a ceiling lined with stalactites. A single Ripper floats in between the pillars. It acts as a hidden tutorial for the Ice Beam, as Samus can freeze the creature and use it as a platform to climb over the left pillar and leave the room.
- "Ice Beam access corridor" (via Blue Door in Metroid, Green Hatch in Zero Mission)
- "Long bubble shaft" (via Blue Door)
- Ice Beam
- In the Chozo Statue's hands.
- 051 ice beam (pg. 40)
- "At long last, you'll reach the destination that the Chozo Statue in Brinstar placed on your map. Grab the Ice Beam then roll into the cradle of the beam's statue to replenish your energy and missiles."
- 052 BOMB OUT, BEAM UP (pg. 41)
- "When you turn to leave the room where you collected the Ice Beam, you'll discover that you don't have the power to open the room's green hatch. Roll under the Chozo Statue that held the Ice Beam, and bomb through the wall. In the next room, use your new beam to freeze the armored flier, then leap over the barrier."