The Impact Crater is the area deepest down in Tallon IV's surface and southernmost on the map, southwest of Tallon Overworld and south of Magmoor Caverns. It was where a Leviathan from Phaaze, which brought the Phazon to Tallon IV, crashed. Inside the Impact Crater, Metroid Prime thrives. The Artifact Temple was built above it by the Chozo to contain the Phazon and stop it from spreading, though their efforts only managed to slow the corruption. Samus must obtain all twelve Chozo Artifacts to enter this area. It is likely that the Impact Crater was formed from the husk of the deceased Leviathan.
Areas and main rooms[edit | edit source]
The Crater consists of only twelve rooms, that can be divided into two areas:
Upper caves[edit | edit source]
This area is horizontal and is the site for the elevator to the Tallon Overworld, the Crater Entry Point (which doubles as Save Station), a Missile Station, two Crater Tunnels (A and B) and the Phazon Core.
Metroid Prime's abode[edit | edit source]
This is the area where Samus fights the Metroid Prime and consists of the Phazon Infusion Chamber, five Subchambers (1 to 5), and the Metroid Prime's Lair.
Fauna and flora[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- 40.08.02 is the planetary location of the "massive energy spike" on Tallon IV: Scans of the Spiral Sector detected a massive energy spike emanating from a Wanderer-class planet identified as Tallon IV. Scout reconnaissance was immediately dispatched to the center of the spike, a land mass at heading mark 40.08.02 [...]
- Interestingly, the Impact Crater has twelve rooms, and Samus has to collect the twelve Chozo Artifacts to enter.
- In the New Play Control! and Metroid Prime Trilogy versions of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Phazon-filled rooms of Dark Aether will play the Impact Crater theme instead of the area's regular theme. Among these rooms are the Phazon Pit, Phazon Grounds and Phazon Site.
- Interestingly, the Impact Crater pinball table in Metroid Prime Pinball plays the Phazon Mines theme rather than its own. The Impact Crater theme is used in the Metroid Mania game, however.
- Transitioning between Impact Crater and Tallon Overworld will play a voice clip stating the area's name. Voice clips for the other areas can be found in the game files, but are bugged and do not play.
- "Evacuate immediately" is present in the Impact Crater sound effects package, suggesting a playable countdown was planned after the defeat of Metroid Prime. The presence of a hole in the wall of the Metroid Prime Lair (which is visible when viewing the room's wireframe) furthers this theory.
- According to the map, the Impact Crater is above the Elite Quarters in the third level of the Phazon Mines.
- The crater can be seen in the entrance to the Phazon Mines elevator in Magmoor Caverns, although the massive meteor making up the Impact Crater area is not present, likely due to memory constraints. Similarly, the crater can be viewed in the elevator leading to level 2 in Phazon Mines.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
|Areas of Tallon IV|
|Tallon Overworld | Chozo Ruins | Magmoor Caverns | Phendrana Drifts | Phazon Mines | Impact Crater|
|Seeds||Impact Crater • Bryyo Seed • Elysia Seed • Pirate Homeworld Seed • Leviathan Battleship|
|Biology||Leviathan womb • Leviathan Infant • Leviathan optical organ • Phazon Core • Tentacle|
|Guardians||Metroid Prime • Emperor Ing • Mogenar • Helios • Omega Ridley|
|Inhabitants||Butterflies • Fission Metroid • Lumigek • Missile Blocker • Parasitic fungus |
Phazon Leech • Scorchbug • Scritter • Swarmbot • Seed platform • Protozoan • Maggot
|Technology||Leviathan Command Codes • Wormhole • Leviathan-class capital ship|
|Items||Hyper Ball • Hyper Grapple • Hyper Missile • Force Ball|