In these games, Samus' basic Power Beam normally dissipates after a short distance. With the Long Beam equipped, however, her shots are capable of traveling much farther. This upgrade also slightly increases the strength of the Power Beam.
In Metroid, Samus can simply bypass the beam entirely, and in Zero Mission, it is possible to skip the acquisition of the Long Beam through an alternate, hidden route.
In other Metroid games, the Long Beam appears to have been completely merged with the Power Beam, as all shots are capable of travelling great lengths without the need for an upgrade. It is listed in the internal files of Super Metroid, but is not found in-game.
"When you get this, your beam's range extends. You can combine it with the Ice Beam and Wave Beam."
"The range of the gun’s beam gets longer. You can destroy an enemy far away, as well as destroy enemies which come from the ceiling. Also, it is great in destroying walls and ceilings."
Metroid Zero Mission manual
"Obtaining this power-up increases the range of Samus' beam weapon, including the Ice and Wave Beams. This power-up allows Samus to destroy enemies from a safe distance."
Zero Mission Samus Screen data
"Fire long-distance shots with this beam. Press L+B to fire diagonally."
- In Zero Mission, the Samus Screen tutorial prompt informs players how to fire diagonally upon acquiring the Long Beam. Despite this, Samus can fire diagonally as soon as the game is started and does not need to possess the Long Beam in order to have this ability.
- Also in Zero Mission, the Long Beam powers up the overall effectiveness of the Arm Cannon, notified by a few effects when equipped.
- Firepower is increased to inflict 1.4 times the amount of damage from any Beam shot. Charge Beam shots gain an additional 1.4 damage added to shots.
- When both the Long Beam and the Charge Beam is equipped, the charging sound for any beam is slightly higher pitched.
- Samus gains a slightly more noticeable and brightly colored aura when firing any beam.
|Armaments||Arm Cannon • Paralyzer|
|Weapons||Power Beam • Wave Beam • Ice Beam • Plasma Beam • Grapple Beam |
Hyper Beam: (MP3/SM) • Phazon Beam • Dark Beam • Light Beam
Annihilator Beam • Nova Beam • Zero Laser
|Enhancements||Beam Burst • Charge Beam • Diffusion Beam • Long Beam • Phazon bullets • Spazer Beam • Tractor beam • Wide Beam • Omega Cannon (Dread)|
|Affinity Weapons||Volt Driver • Battlehammer • Magmaul • Shock Coil • Judicator • Imperialist • Omega Cannon (Hunters) • Electro Lob|