In Zero Mission, Mellows can only be found in Corridor No. 4, where they attack Samus Aran in swarms. They will disappear for the rest of the game if Samus destroys all of their hives, one of which is hidden behind a wall blocking access to a Missile Tank. Mellows will defend their hives when a threat comes close, and spend most of their time circling their hive when the latter is found within the same room, or chasing foes when there is no hive nearby.
"These creatures can pass through walls. They like to chase after you in groups."
"Travels in groups through rocks and walls. These weak creatures are defeated in one shot."
Nintendo Power Volume 29Edit
- ENEMIES OF BRINSTAR AND NORFAIR (pg. 41)
- "They hover near ceilings and often attack in groups."
|Color||HP||ATK||E||BE||M||SM||PB||Crateria. Small and weak but pesky, they will swoop down at you diagonally.|
"They hover until you get close then swoop down. Stay as far across the screen as possible; you can then take them out without them seeing you."
- Metroid: Zero Mission: The Official Nintendo Player's Guide refers to the Mellows simply as "insects".
- The creatures known as Mellas and Himellas are possibly related to Mellows, given their similarity in name, behavior and physiology.
- The Japanese strategy guide for Metroid: Other M states that Mellas and Himellas are in the same species as Reo. This could mean that Mellows are a species of Reo as well, although they are not featured in the game and no information is listed about them. Coincidentally, Nintendo Power Volume 29 erroneously uses the Reo sprite to represent Mellow.