- This article is about the creature. For other uses, see Menu (Disambiguation).
In their first appearance, Menu behave similarly to Mellows and Mellas; they hover near a ceiling and swoop down quickly when Samus passes below them. The Menu's body shape is also similar to the Holtz in various ways, raising the possibility of the two species being related.
In the original Metroid, they are found exclusively in Kraid's Lair. In Super Metroid, their habitat has been moved to Maridia. They are not present in Metroid: Zero Mission; this change might have been done in order to keep in line with Super Metroid's take on Memu's natural habitat being only in Maridia, an area not visited in Zero Mission.
Menu also appear as X Parasite mimics and/or hosts in Sector 6 on the Biologic Space Laboratories research station. Their appearance is nearly identical to their Super Metroid sprites, albeit slightly larger in size and their behavior is slightly different as well, most likely due to a result of parasitic modification by the X parasites. Most X-infected Menu encountered tend to hover in various places, stationary until Samus gets close enough within range that the Menu will then begin to home in on her in an attempt to inflict contact damage. The creature's modified DNA alters the original's behavior by now relentlessly chasing after the opponent once spotted (unlike the original that only attacked each time Samus got within close proximity to one). However with this new behavior comes with a lack of speed. Menu are easily avoidable unless swarmed in large spread-out groups, otherwise their slow and predictable movement gives Samus plenty of time to react before they come into contact with her. Powerful weapons such as Missiles or Power Bombs can easily dispatch a swarm of Menu in no time.
"They can pass through rocks and walls. Be careful as they fall on Samus in groups. They are the weakest enemy in the hideout, so it's up to you to destroy them."
"Attacks Samus in a swarm. Be careful, as they can slip through rocks and walls!"
|Color||HP||ATK||E||BE||M||SM||PB||Maridia. Small, quick, and very pesky, they will swarm at you.|
- It is unknown whether they are organic creatures or in fact mechanoids: some concept art strongly suggests the latter, although the presence of X-infected Menu adds support to the former (as the X usually cannot infect or mimic mechanical devices).
- The Memu had the most appearances in Captain N: The Game Master comics out of all Metroid series enemies, likely due to its simple design.
- According to Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion: Prima's Official Strategy Guide, the term "Menu" can be used as either a singular or plural noun.
- In Super Metroid, a Menu shares its "injured" sound effect with that of certain Space Pirate's sound effects from within the same game.
- This is the damage sound effect of a X-infected Menu in Metroid Fusion.