|This article is written from the Real Life point of view|
Miitomo was a free-to-play social networking mobile application developed by Nintendo, playable on iOS and Android devices. It was released on March 17, 2016, and discontinued in May 2018 despite significant critical and commercial success. Miitomo held at least one Metroid event in its lifetime.
The app allowed players to communicate with each other by answering questions about various topics, and could create or import Miis using My Nintendo or a QR code. Virtual currencies could be spent on clothing items.
Miitomo was produced by longtime Metroid series producer Yoshio Sakamoto.
To celebrate the release of Metroid Prime: Federation Force on August 19, 2016, Miitomo held a Metroid Promo event where Federation Force-related items were added to Miitomo and made available until September 15th, 2016. One item was offered upon launching the app, one was obtainable through My Nintendo, and the rest could be obtained through Miitomo Drop, a minigame where the player's Mii drops down a shaft and collects items, which are then rewarded. The Metroid items included:
- 8-Bit Samus T-Shirt - a wearable shirt with Samus's 8-bit sprite from Metroid, given automatically to Miitomo users if they launched the app before September 15th.
- Metroid Hat - a wearable hat resembling a Metroid larva, redeemable for free from My Nintendo. (Not to be confused with the promotional item for Super Metroid)
- Samus Power Suit - based on the Varia Suit, with variant colors based on the Gravity Suit, Phazon Suit, Fusion Suit and Light Suit). The Varia Suit uses its design from later games in the Prime subseries, possibly due to Samus's appearance in Federation Force using said design. Available in Miitomo Drop.
- Zero Suit - based on the Zero Suit, including a Samus Wig. It has variant colors in green, black, purple, red and gold, matching some of Zero Suit Samus's alternate costumes in the Super Smash Bros. series. It uses its design from Metroid: Other M, as the Zero Suit is not seen in Federation Force, aside from an amiibo-exclusive Paint Job. Available in Miitomo Drop.
- Mech Battle Armour - based on the Federation Force Mechs. Available in Miitomo Drop with blue, red, green and yellow variants.
- Super Metroid T-Shirt - features Samus as she appears on the Super Metroid boxart. Available in Miitomo Drop, with variants with green and orange sleeves.
- Samus's Casual Outfit - based on the Casual Outfit from Zero Mission, with green and blue variants, the latter based on the Metroid Fusion outfit. Available in Miitomo Drop.
In addition, Ridley and a Metroid larva were available as pets (with multiple color palettes), as was flooring based on Brinstar and a wallpaper based on Corridor No. 1. Ridley's palettes included a red version referencing his appearance in Super Metroid artwork and a green version referencing his appearance in Metroid: Zero Mission artwork. He also had cyan and black color schemes, which appear to be original to this game.
From August 24 through August 31, 2016, a Metroid-themed photo contest was held for Japanese Miitomo players. Several background images were available on the website, based on Metroid Fusion and Metroid: Zero Mission.
This year marks Metroid's 30th anniversary, and to celebrate we're teaming up with the newly released Metroid Prime: Federation Force! Welcome to the Metroid promo!
Metroid Hat and 8-Bit Samus T-Shirt items for everyone!
Wearing a Metroid in-game might have been a bad idea, but now your Mii can - in perfect safety! And the u-Bit Samus T-Shirt will bring back many fond memories, we hope!
- The 8-Bit Samus T-Shirt will be available upon launching Miitomo (it must be claimed before 15-9-2016 11:00 UTC).
- The Metroid Hat can be redeemed for 0 Platinum Points from My Nintendo. (Available until 15-9-2016 11:00 UTC.)
Familiar items like the Samus Power Suit available in Miitomo Drop! In Miitomo Drop, you'll see such items as the Samus Power Suit and Zero Suit making their debut! We can't guarantee that your Mii will become Samus herself on wearing them, but they'll certainly look great! (Available until 15-9-2016 11:00 UTC.)
Mew entries in My Nintendo rewards - Metroid Prime: Federation Force's Mech Battle Armour and more! You can now find Metroid Prime: Federation Force-inspired items like the Mech Battle Armour and Metroid Logo T-Shirt in My Nintendo rewards! (Available until 15-9-2016 7:00 UTC.)
Samus Logo Badge available in the shop! You can now find the supremely cool Samus Logo badge in the Miitomo Shop! (Available until 16-9-2016 2:00 UTC.)
Notably, this appeared to be Nintendo's only official acknowledgement of the 30th anniversary of the Metroid series in 2016.
Nintendo of America tweetEdit
"Grab a free Metroid hat and 8-bit Samus tee for your Mii and check out the new Metroid promo items in #Miitomo Drop!"
- ^ Miitomo【公式】 (Miitomo_JP). "Miiフォトコンテスト開催！テーマは「メトロイド」！↓応募方法はこちらです https://miitomo.com/ja/collaboration/160819_metroid/miifotocon/ これは！と思う作品は、ここでRTさせていただきます！ #Miitomo #ミートモ" Aug 24, 2016, 07:02 a.m. Tweet. https://twitter.com/Miitomo_JP/status/768403157709787136
- ^ Miitomo × Metroid photo contest
- ^ Nintendo of America (NintendoAmerica). "Grab a free Metroid hat and 8-bit Samus tee for your Mii and check out the new Metroid promo items in #Miitomo Drop!" Aug 18, 2016, 10:00 p.m. Tweet. https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/766454720030355456