A Missile Expansion, Missile Tank or Missile Pod is an expansion that allows Samus Aran to increase the capacity of Missiles Samus can fit into her Missile Launcher. They are often hidden at the end of secret passages. Usually the first one is found out in the open, however. Missiles are always either the first or second item Samus acquires, sometimes switching position with the Morph Ball. They are found in every Metroid game except Metroid Prime Pinball.
They vary in appearance depending on the games they feature in. Usually however, they are grey and rocket shaped, with a purple tip and several 'fins' at the base. In Metroid Prime they are of similar shape but are black and orange. In Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, the Luminoth had created their own design of Missile Expansion, that somewhat resembled a grenade with orange markings. However, It was still compatible with Samus' Missile Launcher. The standard design of expansion found in Prime also appeared in Echoes, though was only available through the Galactic Federation base after fighting the Dark Missile Trooper. Corruption featured a scaled down version of Prime's Tank, but contained within a canister. In Metroid: Other M, they are no longer shaped like Missiles except when in a tank holding the Missile itself, and has a "blue-green" color. In the game, they only add one Missile. In Metroid Samus Returns, they increase capacity by 3, and by 2 in Metroid Dread.
- 1 Official data
- 1.1 Metroid II manual
- 1.2 Super Metroid manual
- 1.3 Metroid Fusion manual
- 1.4 Official Metroid Prime website
- 1.5 Metroid: Zero Mission manual
- 1.6 Inventory data
- 1.7 Metroid Prime Hunters manual
- 1.8 Metroid: Other M on-screen tutorial
- 1.9 Metroid: Other M manual
- 1.10 Metroid: Samus Returns manual
- 1.11 Metroid: Samus Returns/Dread notification
- 2 Trivia
- 3 Gallery
Metroid II manual
"This item allows Samus to hold more missiles. It also replenishes Samus’ stock of missiles to maximum."
Super Metroid manual
"For every Missile Tank that you collect, you’ll have the capacity to carry five more Missiles. You can refill your Missile capacity by tapping in to a missile charge unit."
Metroid Fusion manual
"Increases the number of Missiles Samus can carry."
Official Metroid Prime website
"Samus Aran's Missile Launcher does not come equipped with unlimited ammunition. Missile Expansion upgrades increase the amount of Missiles Samus can carry by five. The bounty hunter's Power Suit can hold a maximum of 250 Missiles. Missiles can be fired individually or used in tandem with a charged Beam attack to create an effective offensive weapon."
Metroid: Zero Mission manual
"These tanks allow Samus to carry more normal Missiles."
The Missile Expansion units increase the amount of Missiles you can carry.
Each Missile Expansion increases the number of Missiles you can carry by 5 units.
You can reload your Missile Launcher at Ammo Stations. Your gunship has this capability as well.
Metroid Prime Hunters manual
"Increases the capacity of the ARM CANNON's arsenal by 10 MISSILES."
Metroid: Other M on-screen tutorial
This increases missile capacity.
Metroid: Other M manual
"Missile Tank: Increases the maximum number of missiles you can hold by one."
Metroid: Samus Returns manual
"Increases the number of missiles you can carry by three."
Metroid: Samus Returns/Dread notification
"Missile Tank acquired. Missile capacity increased by 3/2."
- The Metroid II: Return of Samus manual incorrectly states that Missile Pods fully restore Samus's supply of missiles upon acquisition.
- Missile Expansions would eventually go on to do this for real in Metroid Prime Hunters.
- Although the Echoes variation of Missile Expansions do not appear in Corruption, Missile Ammo in the latter resembles the Expansions in the former.
- Missile Tanks may have some organic properties, as an X Parasite copied one in Metroid Fusion.
- Although Echoes has it's own design for Missile Expansions, the Dark Missile Trooper when killed will drop a Missile Expansion with the same appearance from Metroid Prime, implying the Missile Launcher was originally meant to be acquired from defeating it.
|Power Suit||Energy Tank • Aeion Tank • Reserve Tank • Energy Part • E-Recovery Tank • Power Bomb Expansion|
|Beam||Universal Ammunition Expansion • Beam Ammo Expansion • Accel Charge • Ship Grapple Expansion|
|Missile||Missile Expansion • Super Missile Tank • Ship Missile Expansion|
|Keys||Chozo Artifact • Alimbic Artifact • Octolith • Dark Temple Key • Sky Temple Key • Energy Cell|