Description[edit | edit source]
In both games, this is the topmost corridor in Norfair.
In Metroid, this room is fundamentally similar to other rooms in the area, likely to conserve memory. It can be entered from either side and is filled with lava. The walls and ceiling near each door are constructed out of clay-like bricks, with two cloud platforms in front of the right exit. This leads to a pair of metal midair structures with pedestals, atop which are two Missile Tanks. Behind the second Missile Tank is a wall of purple bubble-like material, with a small tunnel that can be entered using the Morph Ball. This leads to the left door, found in a small chamber that is identical to the hidden back half of the "Ice Beam room".
In Zero Mission, the room's appearance has been significantly altered to differentiate it from other chambers in the game. It now consists of two rooms, which are now entirely constructed out of Chozo architecture. In the background, buttresses of a large structure and ash are visible. The lava is now more shallow and easier to escape from, especially with the Power Grip. To cross the room, Samus must make use of high walls and ledges, and freeze Squeepts to use as platforms.
The center of the first room contains a standing Chozo Statue, which blocks the path and must be used. When Samus morphs into its hands, it places a nav point on her map that eventually leads to the Speed Booster in Kraid's reliquary. Afterwards, Samus can morph into its hands to replenish her energy and Missile Ammo. The second room contains no lava, and features Rippers, which Samus can freeze and use as platforms to leave.
Connecting rooms[edit | edit source]
Inhabitants[edit | edit source]
Metroid[edit | edit source]
Zero Mission[edit | edit source]
- 5 Squeepts (first room)
- 4 Rippers (second room)
Items[edit | edit source]
- Missile Tanks (2 in Metroid, 1 in Zero Mission)
- In Metroid, two tanks are found in plain view on pedestals.
- In Zero Mission, one tank is found hidden in the wall of the second room. Samus can freeze a Ripper and stand on it to get to the tank, or jump to it with the Power Grip.
Official data[edit | edit source]
- 017 MISSILE MANUEVERS (pg. 132)
- "You'll discover a load of Missile Tanks in the upper-right section of Norfair. When you reach the top of the blue shift,[sic] jump up to the ledge on the right side and fire straight up. You'll break through a line of blocks and discover an area above the ceiling. Jump up, open the next hatch and search for more Missiles."
- 054 NEXT STOP - BRINSTAR (pg. 41)
- "As you cross Norfair's upper-right path, you'll encounter a standing Chozo Statue. After you roll into the statue's arms, the ancient artifact will point you to lower Brinstar - Kraid's territory - to show you the location of the Speed Booster."
- 055 FIRE AND ICE (pg. 41)
- "Enemies leap from the lava. When the closest one reaches your height, freeze it with your beam, then hop onto it. Do the same with the room's remaining enemies to keep from falling into the hot stuff."