Octopedes were small Luminoth-made security drones that patrolled the Sanctuary Fortress, and appear only in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. The Octopedes were corrupted, causing them to turn against their own creators. Octopedes occupy circular shafts, and lock together to form a chain link. When two Octopede links are within close proximity of each other, they can create a harmful electrical field that blocks the tunnel and prevents any further access towards most other creatures. The electrical field isn't perfect, as objects with high enough speed can pass through the electrical field, albeit with minor damage inflicted towards said object. These mechanoids possess poor shielding, as a variety of weaponry can easily dispose of them. However, if one is destroyed, the chain would come loose, causing the remaining Octopede to roll around and explode. Destroying one link in a pair will also disperse the electrical field they generate. They resemble small metal balls with a single eye, and besides the electrical field they generate and the small explosions they trigger within themselves, they are relatively harmless.
Logbook entry[edit | edit source]
Rogue delivery drone.
Lightly armored. Disrupted units can explode in self-defense.
The Octopede were created to deliver messages to Luminoth citizens. They now follow their routes in the service of other rogue mechanoids. The units were designed to self-destruct if attacked, and will explode with enough force to cause damage.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- If Samus fires at the link with the Dark Beam, all Octopede will explode with a sound similar to an object freezing.
- A glitch may occur where the electrical force field the Octopede generates remains online even if the two sets of Octopede are destroyed. This may only occur if the Entangler is used, as they are likely all being frozen at the same time.
- Octopede are similar in appearance and behave like a Zebesian creature known as the Puromi. It is possible that the Luminoth based the Octopede off of the Puromi in the same way the Mechlops was inspired by the organic Triclops.
- Gelbugs bounce around when disrupted, similar to the Octopede's component spheres.
- They are similar in appearace to a Caterkiller from the Sonic the Hedgehog series. Caterkillers split apart when disturbed as well, only the sections don't explode, they have spikes and simply sit there, waiting for someone to step on them.
- Octo is Latin for 8.
|Scanners||Scan Visor • Hand Scanner • Biohazard scanner • Award Scanner|
|Space Pirates||Aeromine • Crawlmine • Eye • Hover Bot • Jumpmine • Mining cannon • Mecha Ridley|
|Galactic Federation||Security Robot B.O.X. • FG II-Graham • FG-1000 • Fuse Hint Scanbot|
|Chozo||Autoad • Autom • Autrack • Databot • Diggernaut • Elysian • Floating object • Gunzoo • Helios • Proboscum • Robotsmall and Robotbig • Shirk • Steambot • Swarmbot (-G) • Tinbot • TPO • Vaporwing • Wallfire • ZipNMEBomber|
|Luminoth||Airthorn • Lightbringer • Lightflyer • Luminoth sentry pod • Mechlops • Mekenobite • Octopede • Rezbit • Sentreye (Corrupted)|
|Other||Androids • Armored Bot • Artificial Intelligence • Cyborgs • Darkling • Drones • Golems • Guard Node • RB133 Auricrusher • Reflec • Security Bot • Shaktool • Statues • Suspensor platform • Turrets • Work Robot |
Drones, Workers, Hunters and Guards • U-ton • Lucky Darts • Desert Phantom • Samus Tank • Integra • Cyclon (Queen)