The Omega Cannon is a temporary upgrade to the Arm Cannon in Metroid Dread. The Omega Cannon is acquired by absorbing it from a Central Unit, and is the only means of defeating an E.M.M.I. short of Metroid powers. It can also open Central Unit Doors. When acquired, Samus Aran's Arm Cannon glows, turns red, and its nozzle becomes capable of opening four flaps (similar to the Missile Launcher in Metroid Prime). The Omega Cannon has two firing modes:
The Omega Stream fires shots like a gatling gun and can melt away an E.M.M.I.'s faceplate, leaving it more vulnerable. E.M.M.I. units are slowed when under fire from the Omega Stream, and will be stunned after losing their faceplate in the same fashion as if their attack was countered. However, it must hit the E.M.M.I. for a sufficiently long period of time to melt the armor, which will cool back down should Samus be forced to break off her attack early.
The Omega Blaster has a long charge time (longer than usual Charge Beam shots) and immense power. With it, Samus can open designated doors that flash red when aimed at, and destroy an E.M.M.I. with a carefully-aimed blast to its exposed eye.
Samus enters Aim Mode, an over-the shoulder perspective, when using the Omega Blaster or Stream. If she is obscured by a wall when in Aim Mode, she will appear white so that she can still be seen. The Omega Cannon deactivates after destroying the E.M.M.I. in the zone she acquired it.
- Omega Blaster acquired
- "The energy from the Central Unit transformed the Arm Cannon into an Omega Cannon.
- Omega Blaster online."
- Omega Blaster in use
- "Hold [R] to charge the Omega Blaster.
Once charged, press [Y] while still holding [R] to fire. Aim at the core."
- Omega Stream in use
- "Hold [Y] to fire the Omega Stream and heat up the shielding.
It will shatter upon overheating, leaving the core exposed."
- After use
- "Omega Cannon depleted and offline. Reverting to regular Arm Cannon."
- Nintendo of America
- "Oh? You're approaching me?
- Samus' powerful Omega Blaster temporarily gives players a dynamic new perspective when aiming. It’s the only way to defeat the deadly E.M.M.I.
- '#MetroidDread #NintendoTreehouseLive
- "Samus is unable to move when charging the Omega Blaster, meaning some serious fear may set in as the deadly E.M.M.I. approaches. You’ll need to face the tension, overcome the fear, and unleash the energy to land a finishing blow."
- Nintendo of Europe
- "The Omega Cannon is a temporary power-up that grants Samus the ability to overcome an E.M.M.I.
- Use Omega Stream to lower its guard, then Omega Blaster to land the finishing blow. It'll take time to charge, so hold your nerve then fire! #MetroidDread"
- Omega Stream
- "When Samus' Omega Cannon is online, hold down the L button to enter Aim Mode. Next, hold the Y button to unleash Omega Stream, a powerful, rapid-fire attack. Continuously striking the head of the E.M.M.I. with this attack will cause its protective plating to overheat and shatter, leaving its core—its weak point—exposed."
- Omega Blaster
- "Hold down the R button while aiming with the Omega Cannon to power up a charged shot. Press the Y button after fully charging to unleash a deadly Omega Blaster attack. Strike the exposed core of the E.M.M.I. with this blast to defeat it. The Omega Cannon will revert to Samus' regular Arm Cannon once the E.M.M.I. is defeated."
- ~Transmission from the dev team~
- "Samus cannot move while charging the Omega Blaster. As the deadly E.M.M.I. approaches, you’ll have to overcome your fear and stand your ground to charge the Omega Blaster, then unleash this energy to land a finishing blow. This creates a build-up of tension and an exhilarating payoff for the player after pulling it off successfully."
- Omega Stream
- "Unleash this rapid-fire attack to overheat and shatter its protective plating, exposing its weak point."
- Omega Blaster
- "Once the E.M.M.I.’s weak point is exposed, stand your ground to power up a charged shot capable of destroying it."
- Another weapon also known as the Omega Cannon appears in Metroid Prime Hunters, although this is likely unintentional as the two appear to have no relation to each other beyond their shared name.
- The long charge time for this weapon is similar to that of the Plasma Gun used by Anthony Higgs in Metroid: Other M.
- ^ Nintendo of America (NintendoAmerica). 15 June 2021 1:08 p.m. Tweet. https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1404848241804386310
- ^ Nintendo of America (NintendoAmerica). 8 July 2021 12:30 p.m. Tweet. https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1413173630389964802
- ^ Nintendo of Europe (NintendoEurope). 4 July 2021 8:00 a.m. Tweet. https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1411656157459009539
|Armaments||Arm Cannon • Paralyzer|
|Weapons||Power Beam • Wave Beam • Ice Beam • Plasma Beam • Grapple Beam |
Hyper Beam: (MD/MP3/SM) • Phazon Beam • Dark Beam • Light Beam
Annihilator Beam • Nova Beam • Zero Laser
|Enhancements||Beam Burst • Charge Beam • Diffusion Beam • Long Beam • Phazon bullets • Spazer Beam • Tractor beam • Wide Beam • Omega Cannon (Dread)|
|Affinity Weapons||Volt Driver • Battlehammer • Magmaul • Shock Coil • Judicator • Imperialist • Omega Cannon (Hunters) • Electro Lob|