The Omega Cannon was long feared by the Alimbics as an abomination for its unstable power and was the subject of a prophecy of theirs. It fires a powerful but slow-moving ball of radioactive energy that has a timed detonation, traveling a significant distance before exploding, unless it comes into contact with an object, in which case it will detonate immediately.
When Samus Aran fights Gorea in the Oubliette, she uses this weapon to defeat the beast's final form, which was impervious to all other weaponry. Heavy gamma radiation emanates from the Omega Cannon, which suggests nuclear firepower.
When playing the Oubliette level in multiplayer, this beam appears at the top of the stage. It is the only beam that appears in the map, and it is not permanent; after firing it once, it disappears from the hunter's beam selections. The beam differs from its use in the Gorea fight, in that it travels slower, has a larger blast radius, and does more damage. Once picked up, it is automatically selected to be used (most of the time), but the Power Beam or Missiles can still be selected afterward, saving the Omega Cannon until the hunter finds a better firing spot or target. Due to its incredibly large blast radius, it has the capability to wipe out hunters on an entire story of the stage. It will act as "killing anything" within blast radius, though this is actually doing 200 damage only. If playing the Prime Hunter game mode, it is possible to gain an affinity for this weapon while the hunter is the Prime Hunter. In this situation – and only this situation – the weapon acts exactly as it does when fighting Gorea.
Often, if Oubliette is selected for a match, the start of the match becomes a race to the top of the level to obtain the beam. After that, the match becomes a sort of "king of the hill" to protect the respawn area of the cannon.
"GOREA'S DEFENSIVE CAPABILITY HAS INCREASED DRAMATICALLY. NO WEAPONS CURRENTLY EQUIPPED IN THE POWER SUIT ARE CAPABLE OF PENETRATING ITS ARMOR. INTENSE GAMMA RADIATION HAS BEEN DETECTED ON THE LOWER FLOOR."
"YOU'VE OBTAINED THE OMEGA CANNON. THIS PROSCRIBED WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION WAS CALLED AN ABOMINATION BY THE ALIMBIC ELDERS BECAUSE OF THE HARM IT COULD INFLICT ON ANYONE DESPERATE ENOUGH TO USE IT."
Omega Cannon (Metroid Prime Hunters)
Metroid Prime Hunters
This proscribed weapon of mass destruction was called an abomination by the ALIMBIC ELDERS because of the harm it could inflict on anyone desperate enough to use it.
- Once the Omega Cannon is obtained during the second Gorea encounter, Samus cannot use the other sub-weapons she obtained during the mission. It is unknown whether Samus lost these upgrades or if they were stacked with the Omega Cannon.
- Although the description of the Omega Cannon states that it in some way harms its user (apparently quite seriously), Samus seems to suffer no ill effects from firing the weapon repeatedly at Gorea. However, Samus does receive damage if close enough to the resulting explosion when the Omega Cannon collides with an object.
- The Omega Cannon is the only weapon in the game that differs in mechanics between single and multiplayer, not including affinities.
- Unlike the other sub-weapons Samus collects, the Omega Cannon has unlimited ammo in single player.
- The Omega Cannon is perhaps the most powerful beam in the Metroid series, next to the Phazon Beam and the two weapons known as the Hyper Beam. All four are available in one game only, during the final boss fight and, for two games, during the subsequent countdown.
- The Omega Cannon is the game's only weapon to not change the appearance of any bounty hunter's Arm Cannon.
- The Omega Cannon is the slowest-firing beam in the entire Metroid series.
- When looking at the Omega Cannon (as an upgrade), small radioactive particles can be seen emanating from it. These particles are similar to those seen when Samus is exposed to the air of Dark Aether, and Phazon in Prime.
- The Omega Cannon cannot damage certain enemies, for example Psycho Bits and Cretaphids, if used outside the Oubliette via hacking.
- What happened to the Omega Cannon after Gorea was defeated is unknown. It is possible that Samus may have left it to be destroyed with the Oubliette when it began to self destruct after Gorea's death. Alternatively, it is possible that the Alimbic race may have taken it back from Samus through the end game vision, when they thank Samus for destroying the creature.
- Unlike the other affinity weapons which have the normal Item Acquisition Fanfare play when acquired, the Omega Cannon is accompanied by the Alimbic Artifact acquisition fanfare when acquired.
- Another weapon also known as the Omega Cannon appears in Metroid Dread, although this is likely unintentional as the two have no apparent relation to each other beyond their shared name.
- The closest parallels between the two are that they both see use in taking down a specific enemy (E.M.M.I. and Gorea's second form) and that they disappear after said enemy is defeated. While the one from Dread has two forms of attack, the former weapon changes slightly in functionality between Adventure and Multiplayer Mode.
|Armaments||Arm Cannon • Paralyzer|
|Weapons||Power Beam • Wave Beam • Ice Beam • Plasma Beam • Grapple Beam |
Hyper Beam: (MD/MP3/SM) • Phazon Beam • Dark Beam • Light Beam
Annihilator Beam • Nova Beam • Zero Laser
|Enhancements||Beam Burst • Charge Beam • Diffusion Beam • Long Beam • Phazon bullets • Spazer Beam • Tractor beam • Wide Beam • Omega Cannon (Dread)|
|Affinity Weapons||Volt Driver • Battlehammer • Magmaul • Shock Coil • Judicator • Imperialist • Omega Cannon (Hunters) • Electro Lob|
|Known Areas||Tetra Galaxy • Alimbic Cluster • Celestial Archives • Alinos • Vesper Defense Outpost • Arcterra|
|Characters||General Almiiak • Arctherus • Gorea|
|Creations||Psycho Bit • Voldrum • Alimbic Turret • Quadtroid • Crash Pillar • Oubliette • Octolith • Alimbic Artifact • Slench • Cretaphid • Stronghold Void (Portal) |
Alimbic Cannon • Omega Cannon • Universal Ammunition • Seal Sphere • Technology • Colored Panels
|Miscellaneous||Language • Tetra Border Wars • Hubs • Objects (Minor) • "Ultimate Power"|