The Pirate Homeworld is a planet visited by Samus Aran in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Originally thought to be the birthplace of all existing Space Pirates, the Metroid Prime Trilogy art booklet stated that it is merely "one of the Space Pirate homeworlds."
Though the planet is effectively unnamed in the other versions of Corruption, the Japanese version, the Spanish version, and unused text suggest the planet is named Urtraghus by the Space Pirates and Planet SN-883 by the Galactic Federation.
Unofficial Map of the Pirate Homeworld: 
Features[edit | edit source]
The Pirate Homeworld is plagued by a steady stream of Acid Rain, harming any creature without protection in the form of a Hazard Shield. It is unique as it features a Transit system, connecting areas for convenience to travelers on foot. The planet was the first target chosen by Dark Samus to impact a Leviathan onto after taking control of Phaaze with Aurora Unit 313. Space Pirate Data insinuates this occurred long before Bryyo and Elysia were impacted. Thus, the Phazon corruption seen on the Homeworld is more advanced than the latter planets, containing many immense Phazon growths on its surface. The Space Pirates' willing interactions with the Seed are likely to have contributed to the corruption as well. The Homeworld was also protected by a gigantic shield, which Samus had to deactivate in order for the Galactic Federation's assault to commence. When the Leviathan was destroyed, the planet's corruption was stopped.
Areas[edit | edit source]
The planet includes the Command Center, a Research Facility, a Mining Site and the Pirate Homeworld Seed. In the Command Courtyard, there are three doors in one room that cannot be opened. It is likely that these doors lead to the Pirate's living quarters. Various large tunnels are present too, possibly allowing Pirate Cargo Drones access to the rest of the base. Samus was able to navigate these tunnels using her Gunship, allowing her to move between the sections of the facility quickly and undetected.
Notable Rooms[edit | edit source]
Biology[edit | edit source]
While the planet's most abundant life-forms are Space Pirates, Phazon Metroids and a few other bioforms dwell on the planet as well, such as Shriekbats and Scritters, who thrive in the sheltered areas throughout the Space Pirate complexes, despite the inhospitable weather conditions. Another species that may originate here are the Korakk Beasts. A possible plant that may have grown on the planet is the highly toxic Badger Glove, since it and the pirates are stated as having alkaloid in their systems. A number of mechanical creatures also reside on the planet, like the Puffer Mines which have been cybernetically enhanced to survive the rough conditions.
A number of deceased wildlife can be found and scanned in various places where Pirate experiments have gone wrong, such as in the Scrapvault, where one such example has been woven into the Pirate structure.
Below is a full list of known inhabitants, including creatures, Pirates, and mechanoids.
- Advanced Aerotrooper
- Armored Aerotrooper
- Assault Aerotrooper
- Berserker Knight
- Commando Pirate
- Dark Samus
- Demolition Trooper
- Despair-Class Turret
- Dread-Class Turret (unseen)
- Federation Marine
- Hyper Grapple blocker
- "Jolly Roger" Drone (formerly Galactic Federation)
- Liquid Phazon
- Massive Tentacle
- Metroid Egg
- Mining Cannon
- Omega Ridley
- Parasitic fungus
- PED Marine
- Phazon Grub
- Phazon Harvester Drone
- Phazon Metroid
- Pirate Aerotrooper
- Pirate Cargo Drone
- Pirate Commander
- Pirate Militia
- Pirate Surveillance Drone
- Pirate Wasp Mother
- Red Phaazoid
- Remorse-Class Turret
- Scarp (deceased)
- Seed platform
- Space Pirate
Bosses[edit | edit source]
Major Upgrades[edit | edit source]
Unused Logbook entries[edit | edit source]
Galactic Federation Datafile UT-009.
Data moved to Logbook for review.
Until recently, Urtraghus was listed as planet SN-883, an inconspicuous world far from the boundaries of Federation space. We now know that a large armed force of space pirates is stationed there. The pirates call this planet Urtraghus, meaning "Large Booty". First scans were blocked by sophisticated jamming technology. We are currently awaiting a report from GF agents who were deployed in this sector.
Space Pirate data decoded.
Data moved to Logbook for review.
The fury of our leader is great. Many disciples have experienced her wrath since Urtraghus fell. However, despite our defeat, her confidence is unbroken. Soon the next phase of her campaign shall take effect against the Federation.
The Aurora has performed the last calculations. Our leader is ready to strike. Soon, Phaaze will sow a large number of Phazon Seeds. They will feel hundreds of Federation worlds. This blow may be the end of Phaaze, but our leader is without worry. For hundreds of live Phazon worlds will replace it.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- A possible reference to the name "Urtraghus" (惑星ウルトラガス) is found in the name of the Urtragian Shriekbat on the planet.
- The art booklet that is included with the Metroid Prime Trilogy refers to the planet as being "one of the Space Pirate homeworlds". Planet Zebes is among these worlds; the Pirates who conquered it renamed themselves "Zebesians" as a declaration of being its rightful inhabitants and it subsequently became an important headquarters. Urthragus likely underwent a similar hostile takeover, resulting in the Pirates viewing it as their homeworld. It remains unknown how many celestial bodies have been converted into worlds that befit the title of Pirate Homeworld, as does the true place of origin of the Space Pirates.
- The galaxy the planet resides in is implied to be in a different galaxy than the one controlled by the Galactic Federation. See logbook entry "Loss" in SkyTown lore section.
- There is a glitch in the room Mine Lift that will prevent progress, forcing the player to restart the game. There are two Spinners in the room, which cause the lift in the room to drop. However, if one Spinner is activated and Samus leaves the room, both Spinners will be deactivated when she returns, and the Mine Lift cannot be dropped. If this happens and the player saves, the game cannot be continued.
- There is a reference to a seemingly lost Metroid game in the Research Facility of the Pirate Homeworld. A terminal in the room Metroid Processing states that "Metroid project "Dread" is nearing the final stages of completion." While in-game it refers to a Space Pirate attempt to convert Metroids into a power source for weapons, this scan is thought to refer to the Nintendo DS video game, Metroid Dread, that seemingly fell off the radar in development; however, the terminal next to it says the project has failed. According to Retro Studios, the reference was not intentional, but this line has caused much frustration and false hope among fans, as Metroid Dread was thought to have been potentially canceled prior to the release of Corruption.
- In the Japanese version of the game, the scan terminal mentioning Metroid project "Dread" now mentions a Dread-Class Turret. The terminal that said the "Dread" project failed references said project without referring to it as such, and still notes that it is not going successfully.
- The theme of the Pirate Homeworld later in the game is a remix of "Crateria - The Space Pirates Appear" in Super Metroid, which was again remixed for the Zero Suit stealth sequence in Metroid: Zero Mission.
- The Pirate Homeworld has the most Energy Cells in the game: three in total.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
|Areas in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption|
(Cliffside • Thorn Jungle • Fire • Ice • Seed)
(SkyTown • East SkyTown • Seed)
(Command • Research • Mines • Seed)
|Planets visited in the Metroid series|
|Other locations visited in the Metroid series|
|Planets in the Metroid series|
|Bilium | Oormine II | Tallon IV | Twin Tabula | Zebes|
|Alinos | Arcterra|
|Aether | Dark Aether|
|Federation Solar System|
|Bryyo | Elysia | Norion|
|Unknown Solar System|
a.k.a. Planet SN-883 or Urtraghus ("large booty")
|SR388's solar system|
|SR388 | "SR387"|
|Earth | Jupiter|
|Excelcion | Talvania | Bion|
|Outlaw | Maru | Agricultural world | Jatsuk | Ocean world |
Graveyard planet | Galactic ruins
|2466 URSA | Bes III | Devon III | Daiban | Demon Planet | Degrade |
Jamoru | Jasdam | Jigrad | K-2L | Kankei | Liberty
Mondreus | Naishii | Nest | RX 338 | Solairon 12 | Tivus | Vho