- This article is about the stage in Super Smash Bros. Melee. For other uses, see Planet Zebes (Disambiguation) and Brinstar Depths (Disambiguation).
It returns in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for the first time in sixteen years. As with the other returning stages, Brinstar Depths has been updated with high quality textures and more detail.
The stage itself is a large roughly circular platform floating in the air over a huge pool of lava. The default position is fairly level, with a slight rise to the right and two slippery-topped pipe structures. A small platform floats above the left part. Below the rightmost pipe another small platform floats, and the underside of the stage consists of large stair steps, a rounded slope, and blocks resembling Koma. Various decorations from the Metroid games festoon the center of the stage, including a pulsating brain-like structure actually inside the stage.
Several seconds after the fight starts, smoke and bursts of lava become visible, and Kraid rises up from the magma on either the left, center or right of the stage. He then does one of three animations (faces the camera and growls while lowering his head a little; lifts his head and rolls it back to a forward position while growling; and lifting his arms and rearing his head back and roaring, followed by snapping twice at the stage). He will then either rear back with his left arm raised while facing the stage and hitting the stage, slowly rotating it 60-90 degrees counterclockwise (he does this if he is on the right side of the screen), or he raises his right arm and throws his head back grandly, then swipes the stage sending it rotating clockwise (he does this if he is on the left side of the stage). If he is in the center, he will do either randomly. Kraid will then sink back into the lava, then rise again several seconds later to repeat the process, each time spinning the stage randomly left or right.
Kraid's attacks will not hit the players or items on the stage. However, the rotations will dynamically change the field, and the players must constantly adapt to the new situations, and also be careful that they do not end up falling off of the stage.
Brinstar Depths – "Kraid will attack from the center of the stage, and the platform will rotate. If Kraid attacks with his right arm, it will rotate clockwise. If he attacks with his left arm, then it rotates counter-clockwise."
In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, any song from the Metroid series can be played on Brinstar Depths.
- Whenever Ganondorf is fought in All-Star Mode, he appears here.
- Because of the lack of any ledges to grab in Melee, Samus, Link, and Young Link may have an advantage over most characters on this stage thanks to their Grappling Beam, Hookshots, and Wall Jumps for an easier recovery.
- Although the stage features lava, it is merely aesthetic, unlike other Metroid stages. A character who falls off the stage will reach the blast line and suffer a KO before ever touching the lava.
- Although the stage does not return in Super Smash Bros. Brawl or Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, its titular theme returns for Planet Zebes: Brinstar (Brawl and 3DS) and Norfair (Wii U).
- Stage Hazards video from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate website
|Metroid Multiplayer Levels|
|Metroid Prime 2: Echoes||Crossfire Chaos • Sidehopper Station • Shooting Gallery • Spider Complex • Pipeline • Spires • Arena 5|
|Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt||Ancient Vestige • Assault Cradle • Trooper Module|
|Metroid Prime Hunters|| Combat Hall • Data Shrine • Processor Core • High Ground • Ice Hive • Alinos Perch • Sic Transit • Transfer Lock • Sanctorus • Compression Chamber • Incubation Vault • Subterranean • Outer Reach • Harvester |
Weapons Complex • Council Chamber • Elder Passage • Fuel Stack
Fault Line • Stasis Bunker • Head Shot • Celestial Gateway • Alinos Gateway
VDO Gateway • Arcterra Gateway • Oubliette
|Metroid Prime Pinball||Magmoor Caverns|
|Super Smash Bros.||Planet Zebes • Planet Zebes: Brinstar • Planet Zebes: Brinstar Depths |
Norfair • Frigate Orpheon • Pyrosphere
|Dead or Alive: Dimensions||Geothermal Power Plant|