|This article is written from the Real Life point of view|
Playing with Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics is the official strategy guide for the SNES Classic Edition dedicated console. It was released on September 29, 2017, on the same day as the Classic Edition itself, with the eGuide released a day earlier. It was published by Prima Games, and written by Garitt Rocha and Nick von Esmarch.
The guide comes in two versions: the standard release, which has a gray cover with thirteen pictures taken from the covers of the games included in the SNES Classic Edition (including Super Metroid), as well as the Nintendo SNES Classic icon. A Collector's Edition was also released, which features an embossed slipcase modeled after the packaging for Super NES games, with the book itself modeled after a Super NES cartridge. The Collector's Edition has an exclusive foreword written by Reggie Fils-Aimé. The pages next to it feature official artwork and screenshots for each game, as well as fanart, and even a photograph of Jenni Källberg cosplaying as Samus Aran. On one page, the graphics of Metroid (on the NES) and Super Metroid are compared. More fanart and cosplay is featured towards the end of the book, as well as a feature on the Metroid Database.
The Super Metroid coverage begins on page 146. It includes a short summary of Metroid and Metroid II: Return of Samus, leading into the story of Super. Each area and boss are touched upon, with maps, screenshots and artwork. After this, there is a section covering details about the game's development and hidden secrets, such as the commercial with Killer the dog, that Super Metroid was intended to be the final Metroid game, the influence Alien had on the series, and the Save or Kill the Animals phenonemon. This is followed by advice from speedrunner Sebastian Haley, and a timeline of the Metroid series up to Metroid: Samus Returns, and the Super Metroid credits.
- Searchable and Sortable [eGuide only]: All content in this eGuide is easily and quickly accessible.
- The Console: A nostalgic celebration and exploration of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System in all its 16-bit glory.
- The Games: Discover everything you’ve always wanted to know about some of the most beloved Super NES games, including the previously unreleased Star Fox 2!
- The History: Learn about the Super NES development and the visionaries behind this groundbreaking console.
- The Legacy: An in-depth look at how the Super NES has left its mark on the gaming industry, and how its legacy continues.
- The Memories: Featuring a plethora of fan art, music, and more, this book is a love letter to playing with Super Power!
- Speedrunning Tips: Some of the best speedrunners around share their tips and strategies for getting the best times in these beloved classic games.
- Exclusive Foreword [Standard/Collector's Edition only]: Written by Reggie Fils-Aimé, President and COO of Nintendo of America.
Table of contents
- Realizing the 16-Bit Dream
- Launch Titles
- Super Nostalgia
- Under the Hood
- Enhancement Chips
- Across the Generations
- Super NES Mouse (1992)
- Super Scope (1992)
- Super Game Boy (1994)
- Satellaview (1995)
- Nintendo Power Carts (1997)
- Super NES-CD
- Top 20 best selling games
- Under the Hood
- Nintendo Hardware Museum
- Color TV-Game (1977-1980)
- Game & Watch (1980-1991)
- Game Boy (1989)
- Super Mario World
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
- Star Fox
- Star Fox 2
- Super Metroid
- Super Punch-Out!!
- Donkey Kong Country
- Kirby Super Star
- Kirby's Dream Course
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Super Fans