In both games, this is an exceptionally long corridor with multiple midair block-like platforms and a lava lake below. Midway through the room is a wall that Samus must bypass via a crevice. It is accessed via the "east green bubble shaft" and leads toward the "Fire-Sea Room".
In Metroid, the ceiling and walls are made from reddish brown rock tiles. The floor is entirely engulfed in lava. To cross the room, Samus must jump across dozens of round, bush-like midair platforms while evading enemy attacks. The block platforms stop before six rectangular platforms made of the same red-brown tiles as the ceiling, two of which have Air Holes that spawn Gamets. These platforms end in a large wall of green bubble-like material, with a hidden tunnel the Morph Ball can fit through. This leads to another group of block platforms, then a long walkway with another Air Hole that leads to the exit.
In Zero Mission, this room cannot be entered until Samus has obtained Super Missiles, as it is entered through a Green Hatch. the room's appearance has not been changed much. The lava is now much more shallow, and the room's ceiling and walls are made of purple rock, which also comprises the platforms. They are easier to navigate now with the Power Grip. The wall midway through is now made of rock, and is again navigated via a thin tunnel at its base, which is partially obstructed by Fake Blocks.
A walkway has been added to the room, replacing some of the platforms after the wall. After Samus returns from the "Fire-Sea Room", she can run along the walkway until her Speed Booster activates, and Shinespark to the left. She will blast through the upper half of the middle wall, which is made of Boost Blocks, and continue to the other end of the room. Samus can also build up speed in the "twin hill corridor" and quickly run into this room, jump up and Shinespark right to bypass much of the room.
- "East green bubble shaft" (via Blue Door)
- "Short green shaft" (Metroid/Zero Mission) (via Blue Door)
- 9 Sovas
- 3 Air Hole spawning Gamets
- 187 DOWN AND TO THE RIGHT (pg. 70)
- "Use the Screw Attack to cut through the floor and burrow down to the save room's level, then blast your way down another level to the green hatch. Move to the right through the hatch. Hop from platform to platform, buzzing through enemies as you go. When you reach the full-screen barrier, fire through a pair of destructible blocks while standing to keep from breaking three lower blocks on the path ahead. Blast and roll."
- 192 STRAIGHTEN UP AND FLY LEFT (pg. 71)
- "Return to the area above the fake lava pit and blast the hatch as you run left. When your booster is charged, crouch, then blast off to the left to blaze a trail to Norfair's middle-left section."