In both games, this room leads to the Screw Attack. In Metroid, the room is visually identical to the "Hi-Jump access corridor". It features a large lava pool with three midair platforms of metal brick suspended over it. Crawling along two of the larger platforms are a pair of Sovas, and Dragons inhabit the lava below. Their spitting projectiles make it harder to cross the room. On the other side of the room is a Red Hatch leading into the Screw Attack's chamber.
In Zero Mission, the room has been significantly overhauled. It no longer contains any lava, and is set in a cave with partially constructed Chozo architecture. The floor has a pit in the center with a slight encroachment of cave rock in the middle, and a tall brown pillar on either side. A pair of pillars hold a Missile Tank above the pit. While the lava is gone, navigating the room is still a challenge as there are now rapidly-moving Ripper IIs flying through the room, which cause damage to Samus if they hit her. After she collects the Screw Attack, she can use it to kill the Ripper IIs, and break through the blocks in the ceiling to collect the Missile Tank.
- "East green bubble shaft" (via Blue Door)
- "Screw Attack room" (Metroid/Zero Mission) (via Red Hatch)
- Missile Tank (Zero Mission)
- Requires Screw Attack. See above.
- 183 EXPRESS ROUTE THROUGH NORFAIR (pg. 69)
"Run to the left and freeze metallic fliers to keep them from running into you."
- 184 PASS UP THE PICKUP (pg. 69)
- "The Missile Tank outside of the room where you'll get the Screw Attack is surrounded by blocks that you won't be able to break until you're equipped with the new upgrade. Pass the pickup and return after you have the Screw Attack."
- 186 missile tank (pg. 70)
- "The Screw Attack makes your somersault a dangerous move. Use it to clear away the metal fliers in the short corridor, then cut through the blocks that surround the suspended Missile Tank."