The Spider Boost, referred to as the Power Bomb Cannon in Metroid: Samus Returns Official Guide, is a new technique in Metroid: Samus Returns, used as an offensive tactic and to obtain certain expansions. It is similar to the Shinespark, Ballspark and Boost Jump, which are performed using the Speed Booster and Boost Ball; staple items of the series that do not appear in Samus Returns. Thus, it can be viewed as a sort of replacement for them. This trick can also be compared to a common sequence breaking technique known as Bomb Jumping.
To perform the technique, Samus must enter Morph Ball mode, and then attach to a surface using her Spider Ball. She must then lay a Power Bomb, which will rapidly propel her forward in the direction she was facing. This is a secret technique that is used to obtain some expansions that are concealed behind horizontal and vertical shafts lined with spikes. It is also powerful enough to stagger the Queen Metroid and interrupt her breath attacks, however if used at any other point in the battle Samus will simply bounce off.
The technique not being mentioned in the game's manual or the Samus Screen has led to some players becoming unsure of how to obtain these expansions, and the game has received minor criticism due to this. It is alternatively known as the Spiderspark.
Expansions requiring the Spider BoostEdit
- Power Bomb Tank (Area 5)
- Super Missile Tank (Area 6)
- Power Bomb Tank (Area 7)
- Super Missile (Area 7)
- Aeion Tank (Area 7)
- Missile Tank (Area 7)
- ^ SR388 Data File trailer description: "Samus Aran's mission on planet SR388 will push her to new levels of power. After acquiring the Spider Ball and Power Bomb, she can even perform the secret Spider Boost! Simply set off a Power Bomb while gripping a surface with her Spider Ball to rocket across any distance imaginable."
- ^ https://youtu.be/xSulT9g3hCQ?t=1m20s
- ^ Page 174: The one last Power Bomb trick of note is what we're calling the "Power Bomb Cannon." Spider Ball on any surface, then lay down a Power Bomb (hold the L button, then press the Y button). The Bomb sends you soaring upward, downward, to the left or right. There are plenty of item tanks that require this trick, so remember it well.
- ^ Brown, Peter. "Metroid: Samus Returns Review", GameSpot, 12 Sept 2017. Retrieved on April 26, 2018. “The one instance of inconsistent logic is a frustrating bump on the road to 100%”
|Suit||Moon Walk • Spin Jump Attack • Wall Jump • Spin Jump • Crystal Flash • Shinespark • SenseMove • Counter Attack • Search View • Strafe/Dash|
|Arm Cannon|| Special Charge Beam Attacks • Headshot • Lock-on • Welding • Overblast • Lethal Strike • Concentration • Precision Aiming • Free Aim |
|Morph Ball||Bomb Jump • Bomb-Trick • Five-Bomb Drop • Turbo Bomb • Ball Spark • Boost Jump • Boost Charge • Spider Boost • Tower Jump|