The Suit Voice is an artificial intelligence computer within Samus Aran's Power Suit. It appears most prominently in the spinoff Metroid Prime Pinball, but is also heard in the Metroid Prime series (PAL/Wii versions) and Metroid Dread.
Metroid Prime series
In the PAL and Wii versions of Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Samus's Power Suit contains an AI that occasionally assists her on missions. Its primary use is in the form of Samus's scan system, which she can access using the Scan Visor to learn about objects and creatures. When scanning a new Logbook entry, the voice says "Recording to Logbook." This clip is used in all versions of Echoes, but only in the PAL and Wii versions of Prime.
Additionally, the Suit Voice says "Data received" when the Power Suit's Hint system has detected an area of interest, or mission-relevant rooms Samus can explore after acquiring or retrieving power-ups. A list of its other lines is below:
- "Varia Suit malfunction. Morph Ball malfunction. Missile malfunction. Charge Beam malfunction. Grapple Beam malfunction." (when these abilities are lost aboard the Frigate Orpheon)
- "Danger." (when approaching the door to a superheated room without the Varia Suit)
- "Heat level critical." (when entering superheated rooms without the Varia Suit)
- "Defeat enemies to unlock doors." (in certain rooms when doors lock)
- "Doors unlocked." (when all enemies in those encounters are killed)
- "Poison gas detected." (when entering the Ventilation Shaft for the first time)
- "Radiation detected." (when Phazon in Transport Tunnel E is approached)
The voice actress is unknown. A video with all voice clips can be listened to here.
Metroid Prime Pinball
The Suit Voice doubles as the announcer of the game and calls out combos, collected Artifacts and bonuses that Samus achieves. The Suit Voice was voiced by Lorelei King. A list of her lines is below:
- "Level [level number]"
- "Double Combo"
- "Loop Combo"
- "Bounty Bonus"
- "Bounty Multiplier"
- "[ Mini-Game ] Ready"
- "Mode Completed"
- "Artifact/Extra Ball Located"
- "Artifact Collected"
- "Extra Ball"
- "Force Field"
- "Missile Recharge"
- "5, 4, 3, 2, 1..."
- "Double Jackpot"
- "Super Jackpot"
- "Combat Ready"
- "Select Destination"
- "Power Bomb/Missile/Force Ball Acquired"
- "Shoot the saucer"
- "Awesome" (after defeating Metroid Prime)
|“||We'll soon be entering ZDR's atmosphere.
Entering the atmosphere in T minus 10... 9... 8... 7... 6... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...
Samus's Power Suit voice returns in Metroid Dread, marking its first appearance in the 2D Metroid series. It is heard in the opening cutscene, announcing that Samus's Gunship would soon enter the atmosphere of ZDR, and then counting down. Whenever Samus interfaces with ADAM in a Network Station, the voice says "Uploading data". Notably, it sounds more robotic during the opening cutscene. The AI was most likely voiced by Holly Renaut.
At 11:59 p.m. CET on October 7, 2021, a clip of the Suit Voice counting down was tweeted by Nintendo's European accounts on Twitter, acting as a countdown to midnight, when Dread released on October 8th.
- ^ Nintendo UK (NintendoUK). 7 October 2021 11:59 p.m. Tweet. https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/1446248723038629908
- ^ Nintendo of Europe (NintendoEurope). 7 October 2021 5:59 p.m. Tweet. https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1446233623510781955
|Artificial Intelligence (AI)|
"SkyTown announcer" | Bottle Ship P.A. Announcer | MB
ADAM | Computer voice | Mad AI | Overdog