The TPO is a robotic enemy seen in Metroid II: Return of Samus.
It is unknown how TPOs came about or the purpose of their creation, but they were likely robots built by the ancient Chozo that once inhabited SR388. Their simple design denotes the strong possibility that they are only maintenance drones for servicing Chozo-built structures and mechanisms, but they went rogue after the Chozo abandoned the planet.
TPO robots are only found in a single room: a vertical shaft located in the vegetated depths of Phase 4. These mechanisms only fly in simple horizontal flight patterns, spinning their canister-like attachments for flight. They do not actively target Samus Aran, but they will damage her if she comes in contact with them.
Metroid II: Return of Samus manual
- Enemies (p. 27)
- "This robot may be small, but it will do damage."
Virtual Console manual
- Enemies (2) (p. 15)
- "A simple robot that travels through the air."
- TPOs behave identically to Meboids, Mumbos, Pincher Flies, Seerooks, and Yumbos.
- TPOs and Proboscums are the only robots in Return of Samus that appear in the caverns and tunnels outside the Chozo ruins.
- TPOs do not appear in Metroid: Samus Returns, the remake of Return of Samus.