In Metroid, it is comprised of purple bubble-like material with destructible blocks lining the right walls, two bubble ledges, one bubble platform in midair and four red ball-like platforms, which can be destroyed with a Beam shot. It room is identical to other shafts in Norfair, such as one leading to Ridley, presumably to conserve memory.
In Zero Mission, the room has been overhauled. It is now set in a cave without any of the bubble-like material in the original version, and now has an elevator to Crateria, which did not exist in Metroid. When Samus first steps into Norfair, she must access Crateria through this room to obtain the Power Grip, which allows her to explore the rest of the area. The elevator platform is bordered by two small Chozo Statues, and underneath it are two Koma pillars. The lower half of the room is cordoned off by a wall with a high ledge, which prevents Samus from easily climbing it until she obtains the Power Grip. However, it is possible to overcome that limitation with the Turbo Bomb technique.
- 2 Rippers
- 3 Sovas (2 orange, 1 purple)
- 035 RISE TO THE SURFACE (pg. 36)
- "While it may seem that you're leaving Norfair largely unexplored, you'll return better equipped for exploration once you take a short trip to Crateria, on the surface. Hop onto the elevator and take off."
- 046 missile tank (pg. 39)
- "After you return to Norfair, drop from the elevator into the proximity of the blue hatch. After you land, grab the ledge to the left, squeeze through a tight passage and follow the path to an out-of-the-way Missile Tank."