Archives: 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10 • 11 • 12
- 1 Re: Unofficial Translation
- 2 Banjo-Kazooie
- 3 Edit summaries?
- 4 39 minutes?
- 5 x
- 6 Reverse Corruption Glitch (Update)
- 7 2 More Questions...
- 8 Questions in need of Answering...
- 9 Questioning/Answering before editing...
- 10 Need Advice Please...
- 11 Curating Comment: A possible solution
- 12 Late Response
- 13 Mistake
- 14 TwitchCon 2019
- 15 On ZS mechanics
- 16 Spiraling tree HUB
- 17 questions
- 18 Snapshots
- 19 SMILE
- 20 Fannon
- 21 Transport to Main Sector
- 22 Noclip site
- 23 Adam
- 24 AM2R updates post 1.5
- 25 Fan reception of Samus Returns
- 26 SMILE Editor
- 27 Lee Garasich
- 28 Anything I can do to help?
Re: Unofficial Translation[edit source]
The template was already used quite frequently on pages with content translated by MDb, Recon, Hat, etc., so the text in the template was already out-of-date even before I started adding it to images. As a quick and easy fix, I've changed "Wikitroid editors" to "Metroid fans", which should be a convenient blanket term that covers all bases. If you'd like to add more, such as specifying that the translation may have been done externally (i.e. not by Wikitroid editors), please do so. --PeabodySam (talk) 04:22, October 28, 2018 (UTC)
- Understood. That's why I'm always so obsessive about crediting the sources of images, translations, etc. --PeabodySam (talk) 04:31, October 28, 2018 (UTC)
To be fair, the panoramic doesn't include Piranha Plant either (at least, not as far as I can tell), so we probably will need to wait until launch before we find out. Besides, there's four unaccounted-for DLC characters, so we probably don't need to worry too much about that. Weedle McHairybug (talk) 09:14, November 2, 2018 (UTC)
Edit summaries?[edit source]
Sorry if I sound petty/annoying/bureaucratic here, but I've noticed that you typically use edit summaries to discuss the article topic or just make a related comment, some very recent examples of which are this and this. That's a rather inappropriate use of edit summaries, and makes it unnecessary hard to tell what you actually did in your edit. I know we have all been doing this collectively at least once and most of us don't bother leaving edit summaries at all, but I'd say it's better to post discussion like that in a blog or external forum. --CortexCPU242 (talk) 14:53, November 14, 2018 (UTC)
- I wouldn't say it's hard to tell what I did in the edit. It's as simple as clicking on diff in Recent Changes and looking it over. More important for major edits than typo corrections, and only an issue if a lot of content is being removed or added to a page. I don't see the need to summarize every single edit, that's very tedious. Admittedly I do get excited in some of my summaries, but the examples you referenced represent only a small fraction of my edits. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 19:34, November 14, 2018 (UTC)
39 minutes?[edit source]
When you made that edit for Metroid Prime 4, you said in the edit summary "39 minutes, people!". Can you tell me what you're referring to? I hadn't gotten any news about any upcoming announcements, so I have no way of knowing what that was referring to. Weedle McHairybug (talk) 00:55, December 7, 2018 (UTC)
- I'll see what I can do, but I'll need a link in the meantime. Weedle McHairybug (talk) 01:11, December 7, 2018 (UTC)
- Okay. I'm not too fond of livestreams, but hey, if I can sit through DOAXVV's livestream during the DOAFest, I think I can sit through this one long enough to see if they cover Metroid Prime 4 in at least the pre-show. I've currently got my computer on mute, however, due to an unrelated translating project regarding Dead or Alive Xtreme Venus Vacation episodes. Weedle McHairybug (talk) 01:16, December 7, 2018 (UTC)
- EDIT: Unfortunately, the thing spooled around the 2 and a half minute mark, so I can't continue at all. Looks like we'll have to wait until the livestream can be watched on our own terms. Weedle McHairybug (talk) 02:01, December 7, 2018 (UTC)
Reverse Corruption Glitch (Update)[edit source]
Thank you for your assistance!
I am still looking into any details I may have missed. I will have the pictures published as soon as I extract them.
(Update) I have currently found a (temporary?) solution to this minor setback. If the pictures require Higher Quality, feel free to replace. Once again, Thank you for your asistance! DarkraiShadowXZ (talk) 19:02, May 6, 2019 (UTC)
2 More Questions...[edit source]
Sorry but I have a few more questions in need of answering...
- Does anyone from Nintendo/Retro Studios actually view, read or monitor this website?
- Is the "Admiral Dane D*** word" allowed to be typed? (answering this question is entirely optional)
- The answers are probably and yes. I'm known to use some language of that color from time to time myself (but not against users). RoyboyX(complaints/records) 23:20, May 11, 2019 (UTC)
Questions in need of Answering...[edit source]
Perhaps you can help me with a couple of questions...
- Who is the current top Administrator monitoring Wikitroid the most? (ignore this question if the second one is answered)
- What exactly are the specific rules for the Wikitroid Blog Posts? I couldn't find them after searching for a while...
- Wikitroid's de facto leader is FastLizard4, although he's quite busy, but somewhat responsive on Discord. I say de facto because as a wiki, everyone is supposed to have equal say in matters, but generally he's represented the site. As for blogs, as long as they aren't inflammatory or attacking people then it should be fine. We don't have a blog policy because we don't really use them. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 21:38, April 30, 2019 (UTC)
New question...there is enemy vulnerability data??? Where!!! (this data could truly be useful...) Also, should enemy vulnerability data be a page? Only heard of this on one page in particular. Signed, Your Friendly Ally: DarkraiShadowXZ (talk) 22:01, August 17, 2019 (UTC)
Questioning/Answering before editing...[edit source]
I am currently editing my profile page. The gallery allows me to change the color of both the text and box ring.
- Oh that's nothing compared to the Curating content RfC. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 22:30, August 19, 2019 (UTC)
- As long as you say who it's from, you're not passing it off as your own. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 21:44, October 14, 2019 (UTC)
Need Advice Please...[edit source]
I am going to take a lot of heat for not including him, but I need to be sure on his status. And since you are both my friend and a Metroid: Other M expert, I can only trust you with this response...
- A veteran of war? Of course. Even soldiers who've been court-martialed, like Bowe Bergdahl, are veterans. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 20:25, May 28, 2019 (UTC)
Curating Comment: A possible solution[edit source]
Let us try this instead: LINK
- Make it a page 2 if you will of the RfC, it doesn't belong in the article namespace. The problem here is the fact that Madax and I can't agree on keeping some of the pages he thinks are problematic. There are a lot of factors which I can summarize for you if you'd like (seriously, the RfC is the definition of wall of text). RoyboyX(complaints/records) 20:21, May 29, 2019 (UTC)
(EDIT) Okay, I believe Phazon Combo and Coin Chest. They felt short, but I believe I should mention this before posting. Do not wish to make it a big scene (again...?). Signed, Your Friend: DarkraiShadowXZ (talk) 21:51, August 17, 2019 (UTC)
- Phazon Combo can maybe become a section on the Phazon Beam page. Coin chest, I disagree. That should stay and be expanded. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 22:02, August 17, 2019 (UTC)
(update) Thank you for the insight and motivation! Didn't expect to find this much [research] info! Wonder what else there is to discover, hmmm... Signed by: DarkraiShadowXZ (talk) 22:00, August 24, 2019 (UTC)
Hmm...read more RFC today. Taking Metroid 2 into account, thought most rooms were just one big room. Can't find the right words to say at the moment. Had it but lost it. Sorry. Thoughts by: DarkraiShadowXZ (talk) 21:45, September 1, 2019 (UTC)
- Generally Metroid rooms are understood as being separated by doors. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 21:49, September 1, 2019 (UTC)
Prime Trilogy is easy to understand! Older titles are a different field. Metroid 2: Return of Samus just uses transitions likely due to Game Boy Hardware. Continuing: DarkraiShadowXZ (talk) 22:09, September 1, 2019 (UTC)
- Rooms in Prime have names. Rooms in the 2D Metroids don't always have names. I and Peabody made pages for some of the rooms in Other M and Metroid II/Samus Returns. We didn't plan to write pages for all of them, but Madax doesn't like using "descriptive" names (i.e. "long hall") from Prima guides. He wants only the really notable ones to have pages (think rooms where boss fights or story events happen), and the rest of them (the short corridors with a few enemies and nothing else) to go on lists. However, any room can still have a page if it goes over 1 KB of text. You've been quite active on this RfC. Would you like to read over my proposed room policy and Madax's, and tell us what you think? Which one is better? That way we can finally move this forward. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 22:15, September 1, 2019 (UTC)
Okay, reading! But definitely need more time. Plenty of projects being currently worked on. Believe it was the 'Dark MP2 rooms' structure that caught my attention? The RFC feels like a challenging puzzle. "Think Metroid Rubik's Cube!" Signed by: DarkraiShadowXZ (talk) 22:51, September 1, 2019 (UTC)
Well Roy, thank you for all of your advice about the RFC! The knowledge gained throughout this experience will soon be needed (on another Planet). Your Friend: DarkraiShadowXZ (talk) 21:39, September 29, 2019 (UTC)
Late Response[edit source]
Sorry for being inactive for a while. Been busy with a handful of other people. Will get back to Wikitroid once my objectives have been completed, but feel free to leave a message if anything important occurrs. Good luck with your talks with Madax the Shadow. Your Friend, DarkraiShadowXZ (talk) 00:35, June 6, 2019 (UTC)
- Thank you. I'll be sure to keep you up to date. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 00:42, June 6, 2019 (UTC)
Sorry for not responding in a while. Been busy helping others not only on Earth, but another Planet as well. (After all, They don't call us the Galactic Federation for nothing!) Signed: Your Buddy in space, DarkraiShadowXZ (talk) 21:28, September 28, 2019 (UTC)
- What was inaccurate? No, it won't go on your "permanent record". We all make mistakes. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 21:43, September 16, 2019 (UTC)
In Sky Temple Keys, typed in Agon Key's appearance listed as after Stealing Planetary Energy. The actual facts prove this was no where near even neccessary (the Power Bomb Guardian's/Stolen Power Bomb item must be obtained first). Should have known better than to trust old research data! Going to be reviewing facts first then double checking and/or confirming all details before final confirmation from now on. Sorry, and thank you. Signed by your Friend: DarkraiShadowXZ (talk) 22:24, September 16, 2019 (UTC)
TwitchCon 2019[edit source]
TwitchCon is going on in the San Diego Convention Center this weekend. Was wondering if any news has surfaced concerning Metroid Prime 4? Signed: DarkraiShadowXZ (talk) 21:22, September 28, 2019 (UTC)
On ZS mechanics[edit source]
Hey there its Metroid103. Do you know whats been decided on the zero suit mechanics page? I know you helped out with it so I figured you might know whether its going to be merged with Sammy's main zero page or not? I still plan on continuing research and what not - I'm starting to strongly suspect that the Blue part in her fusion suit is actually the zero suit merged with the rest after reading some translated Fusion concept art. Anyhow , just stopped by to ask about that because its been a while since anyone has said anything on the matter. Thanks! --Metroid103 (talk) 16:50, September 30, 2019 (UTC)
- No decision has been reached. I don't know that it can be expanded to a sufficient level, therefore it might be merged. I would object more strongly to merging the Power Suit and Fusion Suit Mechanics pages with their respective suits. The "Zero Suit is Fusion Suit" theory you have sounds very speculative, especially since the Zero Suit didn't exist when Fusion was released. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 22:58, September 30, 2019 (UTC)
Ok. Not that that's a big deal-it would double the entire Zero Suit article easy and its proving hard to bring more credible info than it already has to make it longer. And that's why I've been researching so much and on the Fusion suit being the Zero Suit before it was in the series I find to be a bit incredible to be believe-that's why I haven't done anything with it yet. All I have is that the concept stats that the fusion suit actually has three see through layers and the fourth is the blue part that they stat is actually just her regular clothing fused with the suit I guess? We actually have the translated version on wikitroid. Here I'm sure you've seen it already- but it did make me pause for thought about the fact that the designers are basically saying that the blue parts of the Fusion Suit is really just her regular clothing. --Metroid103 (talk) 23:59, September 30, 2019 (UTC)
Spiraling tree HUB[edit source]
- All of them, all of them, and I'm not saying. Also, an article isn't the place for your thoughts. Thank you and have a good evening. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 02:46, December 14, 2019 (UTC)
I have a few questions how did you first come to contact with metroid. What is the fastest time youve beaten any metroid game. How many metroid games have you played.
- I found out about Metroid through Smash Bros., my fastest time is 3 hours (I think - I've beaten a Federation Force mission in 42 seconds), and I've played all of them. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 14:03, December 19, 2019 (UTC)
Well i am back and I have super metroid since then and It was always my favorite anyway but it was even better when I played it. Anyway do you think that other M is a good game.
- Gameplay wise yes, but I don't care for the controls. I am not someone who hates the story with a burning passion like other fans, it definitely could've been better. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 21:56, January 7, 2020 (UTC)
The fastest time i have beaten fusion is in 2:30. I have beat zero mission in 3:14 I also found out about metroid through smash bros but i found out through the n64 smashh bros
I think that other m is also good but what do you think could be better about the story. what did you think about federation force?
How do I get good quality screenshots for articles (like perfect screenshots from Metroid Prime 2 for example?) Do I need a capture card or something?- PurpleSamurai5.0 [messagecontributions] April 23, 2020
- The highest quality pictures we have, like the ones you might notice on room articles showing them in HD, are taken in Dolphin, the GameCube/Wii emulator. If your computer has the capacity to run Dolphin smoothly, that's your best option. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 03:12, April 24, 2020 (UTC)
- For that, the emulator is Citra. I think(?) it's still in development, but Bearborg, one of our admins, has had success getting Samus Returns screenshots with it. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 19:27, April 24, 2020 (UTC)
It is possible to capture mostly clean pictures with SMILE. I will try to upload both clean and unclean, because I think the SMILE captures are useful. I only have basic experience with SMILE so there many be a way to get better pictures. PurpleSamurai5.0 9:55, May 5, 2020
- Oh my god. Uh... I don't know what I was thinking. Disregard it to eternity. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 18:24, May 5, 2020 (UTC)
Transport to Main Sector[edit source]
I recently noticed that you combined the Other M elevators into one article and I was wondering if you could rename it. As much as I like the "Transport to" in unofficially named elevators, there are other elevators that lead to the Main Sector beside the ones mentioned in the page. I hope you can at least add some indication of the different elevators in the name please. PurpleSamurai5.0 23:40, May 19, 2020 (UTC)
- This is supposed to refer to the elevators that go from the sector to the Main Elevator in the Main Sector. Any other elevators to the Main Sector (such as that which you take through a Desbrachian door to the Control Bridge) will have different names when I get around to making a room list for the Main Sector. Also, the elevator disambig is meant to show all elevator rooms. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 23:49, May 19, 2020 (UTC)
Noclip site[edit source]
Hey! Hope you're doing okay. I came across this website recently and thought it would be useful to use for the site for screenshots? https://noclip.website/ It has a lot of game scenes from the Prime games and other nintendo games that you can freecam with. I know I've been absent for years(!) but I saw you were still pretty active here so I thought you might find it cool if nothing else. Hopefully Prime 4 comes sooner rather than later.
- Oh hey! Yeah, it's been forever. How are you doing? Things are fine on my end, aside from being laid off. This noclip site is very cool. We can definitely get some good pictures from it. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 18:35, May 22, 2020 (UTC)
- Ahh dude!! that sucks. And Im glad u think so, I love looking at the levels and and seeing the behind the scenes stuff. If you wanna chat sometime on discord or whatever let me know too. Would be cool to catch up after an eternity! Lmao.
Would this be good for the Adam article?
- Yes, although we already have this image. The article should be fine with both of them. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 20:52, June 13, 2020 (UTC)
AM2R updates post 1.5[edit source]
Hi RoyboyX! How've you been? I'm giving you a heads up that the team working on AM2R came across a recent review that criticized the science-fiction movie references in the logbook journals being "too on the nose". Due to how the game is looked upon in the Metroid community with overall positivity, with many regarding it as worthy enough to be placed among the other Metroid games, the higher-ups have decided to remove movie quotes in order for the journals to be of the same quality as the logbooks seen in the Prime games. That means Hudson's line from Aliens will no longer be present in future updates of the game. Unfortunately, its out of my hands :(
- That's unfortunate, but I understand the need to maintain a serious atmosphere in this game. I really should pick up the updated version again. Thanks for the tip. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 16:59, June 14, 2020 (UTC)
- Here's a link to the game already patched to 1.5,
- The game will still maintain some humor in later versions though, such as the log journal where a female scientist thinks Samus is a man, and the one that tells the tale of a soldier who tried the classic Bomb trick to dislodge an attacking Metroid (only to blow himself up in the process due to splash damage). After all, Prime 2 had some humor in their logs (notably the one that compares Samus to both Santa Claus and Bigfoot). Latinlingo (talk) 07:45, June 20, 2020 (UTC)
Fan reception of Samus Returns[edit source]
I wanted to add the following paragraph to the section "Reception" for the article covering Samus Returns. I wanted to make sure it sounded adequate.
"Over time, some criticism has been brought up regarding the changes in the remake, among them being the final segment leading up to the game's ending due to how it drastically differs in tone and atmosphere from Metroid 2: Return of Samus. Others have also remarked on the low enemy variety in Samus Returns, a result from nearly half of the original game's roster being cut which consequently leads to repetitive encounters. This issue is further compounded by the remake's larger focus on combat."
Based on what I've seen in the years following the release of the remake, I can confirm seeing these two complaints brought up very often on various forums and youtube video reviews. What do you think? Latinlingo (talk) 21:28, June 24, 2020 (UTC)
- Definitely very common complaints, some have also felt that Ridley was shoehorned in. I would change the second sentence to this: "Others have also remarked on the low enemy variety and repetitive encounters in Samus Returns, as a result of nearly half of the original game's creatures being cut. This issue is further compounded by the remake's larger focus on combat." That way it sounds more general as opposed to being written as one might in their own review. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 21:39, June 24, 2020 (UTC)
- Allright. Concerning Ridley's shoehorned appearance, it's the reason why I left the first sentence of my paragraph vague enough to include everything that touches the remake's final playable segment, such as the corridors leading towards the surface being filled with enemies and the new final boss. Do you think I should go into details on Ridley, or leave the first sentence as is? Latinlingo (talk) 21:57, June 24, 2020 (UTC)
SMILE Editor[edit source]
We are officially adding SMILE info now? Awesome! I have a history of handling this program so allow me to help immensely, thank you! Just inform me of which info is suitable where necessary.
Also let me know if you are interested in my Super Metroid Custom patch.
- Well, PurpleSamurai has been adding captures of rooms in SMILE, and if there's something interesting to document like an unusual find in a certain room (or unused content that we discover as a result of using SMILE), then we would include that. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 17:33, July 13, 2020 (UTC)
Some of the rooms have unusual enemies added into the coding but are never encountered normally (example: A Puffer is an enemy allowed in the Map Station for Wrecked Ship (Pre-Phantoon). Also, The first main room of Wrecked Ship Samus enters can have a completly alternate layout after Phantoon is defeated, unlike most 'alternate variations' of rooms.) [SPOILER: I exploited and utilized most if not all of these tactics in my Super Metroid Custom Build. Feel free to try!]
Lee Garasich[edit source]
I just wanted to pop over here and follow up regarding the recent edit/update to the Lee Garasich page. The changes added in the update are correct and accurate. The update may sound unusual but is nothing more than a fact with added in-game inside joke which would be understood for other Final Fantasy XI players. I respectfully request the updates be reinstated as they were added.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this please let me know. I can be reached at firstname dot lastname at gmail dot com. Thank you for your time and this can be deleted or removed once received. Lee Garasich ~8~5~2020~9:07PM
- I'm not sure I understand what this trivia point is trying to convey. First, are you Lee yourself? It's a rather egregious conflict of interest for you to edit your own article; you may not be trying to be biased, but it can appear that way. Second, is "Vize" another player? I've tried to search for Vize in connection with Lee's/your name and have found nothing (unless he/you uses a different username I'm unfamiliar with). This isn't the place to boast about gaming rivalries. If you'd like this to be brought back, I need a bit more context. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 01:29, August 6, 2020 (UTC)
Yes I am Lee. As for an "egregious conflict of interest" I do not see that. Simply adding an interest, which was originally added by someone else, then confirmed by me, does not seem like an "egregious conflict of interest." I have far better things to do than to promote a rivarly using a wiki. I apologize for taking your time. Lee 9:42 ~8~10~2020
Anything I can do to help?[edit source]
Hey there, I used to be an editor here many years ago. Not a prominent one, but I like to think my contributions were somewhat valuable. I've got a lot of free time on my hands these days and the thought occurred to me that I might contribute here once again. Give back to a community that I've always been fond of. I especially want to help with all the new information that will inevitably result from the release of Metroid Prime 4, although that may be (sadly) quite some time off. It doesn't seem like the wiki is a hotspot of activity these days, but you seem like one of the few regular contributors, so I imagine you know your way around. Just wondering if there's anything around here I can do to help? Mire Ofveg (talk) 04:59, 24 October 2020 (UTC)
- What was your previous username? I wonder if I remember you from back then. In terms of things to do, there's plenty. In particular, we have a number of articles that need expanding and pages that need new or better images. If you're able to take high quality screenshots for the wiki (either with an emulator or captured directly from the console), and/or investigate what pages need in order to be expanded, that would be of great help to us. RoyboyX(complaints/records) 05:31, 24 October 2020 (UTC)